QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE YOU BEGIN
The questions below may assist you as you begin the planning process for your event. These will help provide a framework as the event develops and evolves, and will help with a focused direction and effective use of resources. Well-organized and well-executed events provide opportunities to build on and strengthen the positive reputation of Missional University.
Goals and Objectives:
- What are the key goals and objectives of this event?
- Who is the target audience?
- What is the desired outcome and what do you want your guests to take away from this experience?
- How will you gauge the effectiveness of your event? (client/audience survey, statistical data)
Planning and Programming:
- Who will be the lead producer on this event?
- What is your budgeted amount, and from where are the funds coming?
- What day of the week will this event be held? (Consider your audience when choosing date/time i.e. Monday’s are difficult for attendance, consider traffic when selecting time of day, consider your catering budget when selecting time of day)
- What type of event is this? (meeting, reception, dinner, performance, etc.)
- What are your program elements? (speakers, format, video, AV presentation, performers, catering, etc.)
- In what order will your program elements flow?
- Are VIPs invited and if so, who will handle the event flow logistics?
- How are you going to invite your audience? (print invitation, email invitation, social media, website, etc.)
- From where will your list of invitees come?
- After the invitation, how will you promote your event? (social media, email follow-ups, website, fliers, etc.)
- Have you reserved your location?
- If food and beverages are planned, have you selected a caterer?
- Have you identified your AV needs and who will be providing them?
- Where will you have your guests park?
- Have you designed your space layout? (tables, chairs, stage, registration, food prep)
- Will you need photography or videography?
- Who will be managing the RSVP lists?
- Will VIPs be invited and if so, who will be the point person?
- Have you considered dietary needs?
- How will you accommodate special needs?
- How many people will you need to staff the event, and have you identified who they will be?
- Will you need to order plaques, awards, speaker gifts, etc.?
- Who will be responsible for getting alumni attendee information to the alumni office?
- Who will be responsible for completing the final expense report?
- Will you be sending out a survey to participants?