Matthew O'Reilly, PhD
Professor of Theology and Religious Studies
Sociopsychological Interpretation Specialist
International Experiences: Costa Rica, England, Mexico, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies (New Testament Concentration), University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, UK
- Master of Divinity, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY
- Bachelor Arts, Philosophy, Auburn University, Auburn, AL
- The Body & the Future: A Socio-Rhetorical Approach to Paul’s Ethics with Special Reference to the Resurrection of the Body
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Pastoral Ministry, Wesley Biblical Seminary, Jackson, MS
- Adjunct Instructor of New Testament Greek, Asbury Semnary, Wilmore, KY
- Teaching Assistant, Asbury Seminary, Wilmore, KY
- Pauline Studies (Theology, Eschatology, Anthropology, Ethics)
- Social-Scientific Criticism
- Social Identity Theory
- Pastoral Theology & Worship
Ministry & Professional Experiences
- Pastor, St. Mark United Methodist Church, Mobile, AL
- Pastor, First United Methodist Church, Union Springs, AL
- Pastor, Jay United Methodist Church, Jay, FL
- Pastor, Preachersville United Methodist Church, Crab Orchard, KY
- Pastor, Lee Circuit United Methodist Churches (3 point charge), Opelika, AL
- Student Ministry Intern, Trinity United Methodist Church, Opelika, AL
- 1-2 Thessalonians (Franklin: Seedbed, under contract)
Chapters in Books
- “1–2 Thessalonians.” In T & T Clark Commentary on Social Identity in the New Testament, ed. J. Brian Tucker and Aaron Kuecker (New York: T&T Clark, forthcoming).
- “What Makes Sex Beautiful? Marriage, Aesthetics, and the Image of God in Genesis 1–2 and Revelation 21–22.” Pages 186-200 in Beauty, Order, And Mystery: The Christian Vision of Sexuality, eds. Todd Wilson and Gerald Hiestand (Downer’s Grove: IVP, forthcoming).
- “Resurrecting the Body: Paul and Racial Reconciliation in First Century Rome and Twenty-first Century Alabama.” In The Letters of Paul, ed. Menghun Goh (Texts@Contexts; New York: T&T Clark, forthcoming).
- “Rest Now or Not Yet? Temporal Aspects of Social Identity in Hebrews.” Pages 47–53 in Listen, Understand, Obey: Essays on Hebrews in Honor of Gareth Lee Cockerill, ed. Caleb Friedeman (Eugene: Pickwick, 2017).
Articles in Academic Journals
- “Toward an Eschatology of Hope: The Disappearance of the Sea in Revelation 21:1 and its Significance for the Church,” The Princeton Theological Review 44 (2011): 49-63.
- “‘Faith Comes from Hearing’: The Scandal of Preaching in a Digital Age,” The Princeton Theological Review 43 (2010): 43-53.
- With Fredrick J. Long, “A Guide to Scholarly Advancement for Graduate and Postgraduate Students,” The Asbury Journal 63:2 (2008): 95-100.
Articles in Professional Journals
- “Evangelizing the Church,” Preaching 26:6 (2011): 22-24.
- “Five Things You Need to Know About Preaching through the Books of Scripture,” Preaching 25:6 (2010): 20-22.
- “Eschatology, Ethics, and the People of God: Social Dynamics of Bodily Resurrection in the Corinthian Correspondence,” Wesleyan Theological Society, Wilmore, KY (2017).
- “The Aesthetics of Sex: Marriage, Beauty, and the Image of God,” Center for Pastor Theologians Conference, Chicago, IL (2016, invited paper).
- “Resurrecting the Body: Paul, Social Identity, and Racial Reconciliation in First Century Rome and Twenty-first Century Alabama,” Society of Biblical Literature, Atlanta, GA, (2015).
- “From Mortal Body to Redeemed Body: Resurrection, Social Identity, and Time in Romans,” Wesleyan Theological Society, Mount Vernon, OH (2015).
- “Incubating the Ecclesial Theologian: A Proposal for a Church-Based Ph.D.,” Wesleyan Theological Society, Mount Vernon, OH (2015).
- “Resurrection or Destruction? Social Identity and Time in Philippians 3,” Society of Biblical Literature, San Diego, CA (2014).
- “Embracing Resurrection: Temporal Aspects of Social Identity in 1 Corinthians 15,” British New Testament Conference, Manchester, England (2014).
- “Did Paul Think He Was Perfect? Christian Perfection and its Eschatological Framework in Philippians 3:15” Wesleyan Theological Society, Nashville, TN (2012).
- “Waiting for His Promised Coming: Eschatology and Ethics in Chain-link in 2 Peter 3” Society of Biblical Literature, Atlanta, GA (2010).
- “‘And the Sea Is No More’: Evil, Exodus, and New Creation in Revelation 21:1c.” Society of Biblical Literature, Boston, MA (2008).
Academic & Invited Speaking Presentations
- Guest Preacher, Missions Conference, Trinity United Methodist Church, Opelika, AL (February 2016).
- Seminar Teacher, Bethlehem Family Camp, Bonifay, FL (June 2015).
- “Marriage and the Image of God: The Beauty of Biblical Sexuality,” Susquehanna Annual Conference Evangelical Network, Messiah College, Mechanicsburg, PA (June 11, 2015).
- “Marriage and the Image of God: The Beauty of Biblical Sexuality,” Western North Carolina Conference Evangelical Movement, Lake Junaluska, NC (June 20, 2014).
- “Lay Speakers Lead in Evangelism,” Montgomery-Opelika District Lay Speaker Training (Feb. 8-9, 2013).
- “Relational Evangelism,” Montgomery-Opelika District Leadership Academy (January 13, 2013).
- “How do I do the work of an evangelist?” Montgomery-Opelika District Leadership Academy (January 29, 2012).
- Evangelist, Palmer Creek Camp, Saucier, MS, (July 2012).
- Evangelist, Bethlehem Family Camp (June 2011).
- Evangelist, Bethlehem Family Camp (June 2010).
Academic & Professional Memberships
- Wesleyan Theological Society
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Modern Languages
- English, Native or Bilingual Proficiency
- German, Limited Working Proficiency
- French, Limited Working Proficiency
- Ancient Languages
- Koine Greek, Full Professional Proficiency
- Hebrew, Limited Working Proficiency