Faculty & Staff
Jointly Appointed Faculty
Stephen Bennett, PhD
Professor of Old Testament Mission
Sociocultural Interpretation Specialist
International Experiences: Australia, Brazil, England, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Old Testament, University of Manchester, Manchester, England, UK
- Master of Divinity, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, MO
- Master of Arts, Missions, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, MO
- Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting, Auckland University, Auckland, New Zealand
- The Abrahamic Covenant and the Idea of Missionary
- Professor of Old Testament, Nyack College, Nyack, NY
- Adjunct, Nazarene Bible College, Colorado Springs, CO
- Adjunct Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, MO
- Adjunct, Wesley Biblical Seminary, Jackson, MS
- Assistant Prof of Old Testament, Asia Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary, Manila, PH
- Visiting Assistant Prof of Old Testament, Southern Nazarene University, Bethany, OK
- Visiting Assistant Prof of Bible, Nazarene Theological College, Thornlands, Queensland, AU
- Assistant Prof of Bible, Visayan Nazarene Bible College, Cebu, PH
- Assistant Prof of Bible, Philippine Nazarene Bible College, La Trinidad, Benguet, PH
- Old Testament Studies
- Hebrew Language and Literature
Ministry & Professional Experiences
- Pastor, Fitchburg Church of the Nazarene, Fitchburg, MA
- Pastor, Whangarei Church of the Nazarene, Whangarei, New Zealand
- Co-Pastor, St. Helens Church of the Nazarene, Warrington, England, UK
- Co-Pastor, Warwick Valley Church of the Nazarene, Warwick, NY
- Co-Director, Children's Program, Fishkill Church of the Nazarene, Fishkill, New York
- Ecclesiastes / Lamentations. New Beacon Bible Commentary. Kansas City, Mo.: 2010.
Peer-reviewed Journal & Dictionary Articles
- “Global Wesleyan Dictionary of Biblical Theology, tōm, edited by Robert Branson. (forthcoming)
- Lexham Bible Dictionary, “Wisdom Literature,” “Exodus, Critical Issues,” "Sheep," and "Flint Tools." Published online at http://www.biblia.com and http://faithlifebible.com, 2013.
- Lexham Bible Dictionary, “Isaiah, Book of, Additional Critical Issues.” Published online at http://www.biblia.com and http://faithlifebible.com, 2012.
- “'A Wisdom that is Woe': Allusions to Ecclesiastes in Moby-Dick,”Literature and Theology 27/1 (March, 2013) 48-64.
- “Love over Gold: The Song of Songs for New Zealand,” International Review of Mission (January, 2002).
- “Tlawm-ngaih-na: Holiness in the Mizo Context of Myanmar,” The Mediator 3/2 (April, 2002) 79-80 (co-authors: Din Thara and Jubilee Thanga).
- “Domesticating the Prophetic Voice in Asia and the Pacific,” The Mediator 2/2 (2001).
Chapters in Books
- “Among the Ruins of a Walled City: Reflections on War and Peace in Ecclesiastes 12:1-7,” chapter in Hilary Marlow and Jim Aitken (eds.), The City in the Hebrew Bible: Conceptual, Literary and Exegetical Studies of Biblical Urbanism, Library of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies, forthcoming in 2018.
- “Preaching the Preacher: The Wisdom of Ecclesiastes,” chapter 19 in The Bible Tells Me So: Reading the Bible as Scripture edited by Thomas Jay Oord and Richard Thompson, Outskirts Press, 2011.
- Paul M. Joyce and Diana Lipton, Lamentations through the Centuries. Wiley-Blackwell Bible Commentaries. Malden, Mass. and Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013), review published in Studies in Religion (forthcoming).
- James T. Robinson, Asceticism, Eschatology, Opposition to Philosophy: The Arabic Translation and Commentary of Salmon ben Yeroham on Qohelet (Ecclesiastes).Études sur le Judaïsme Médiéval, Tome XLV. Karaite Texts and Studies, Volume 5. Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2012), review published in Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (57/1, March, 2014 ).
- Victor P. Hamilton, Exodus: An Exegetical Commentary (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Academic, 2011), review published in Journal of Semitic Studies 58/2 (2014).
- Edward M. Curtis, Ecclesiastes and Song of Songs. Teach the Text. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Books, 2013. Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament 3.2 (2014).
- R. Alan Cole, Exodus: An Introduction and Commentary (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. Leicester, England and Downers Grove, Ill.: Inter-Varsity, 1973), review published in Koers: Bulletin for Christian Scholarship. (2014).
- Aaron Koller, The Semantic Field of Cutting Tools in Biblical Hebrew: The Interface of Philological, Semantic, and Archaeological Evidence (The Catholic Biblical Quarterly Monograph Series 49. Washington, D.C.: The Catholic Biblical Association of America, 2012), review published in Review of Biblical Literature (2014). Online at http://bookreviews.org.
- Stuart Weeks, Ecclesiastes and Scepticism, review published in Vetus Testamentum 63/3 (2013) 510-512. Online at http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/10.1163/15685330 -12340011
- Jennie Barbour, The Story of Israel in the Book of Qohelet: Ecclesiastes as Cultural Memory, Oxford Theological Monographs. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012, review published in Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (2013).
- Mark R. Sneed, The Politics of Pessimism in Ecclesiastes: A Social-Science Perspective, Ancient Israel and its Literature. Atlanta, Ga.: Society of Biblical Literature, 2012, review published in Journal of Hebrew Studies (2013). Online at http://jhsonline.org/reviews/reviews_new/review692.htm
- Book Review of Mark J. Boda, Tremper Longman, and Christian G. Rata (eds.), The Words of the Wise Are like Goads: Engaging Qohelet in the 21 st Century (Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns, 2013), review published in Catholic Biblical Quarterly (2013).
- John Goldingay, Old Testament Theology Volume 1: Israel’s Gospel (Downers Grove, Il: InterVarsity, 2003), review published in Toronto Journal of Theology, 28/2 (Fall, 2012). Online at http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/tt2582t7445473t5/? p=b6b35f230ad4442f87fc0a0ad192a905&pi=10
- Preben Vang and Terry Carter, Telling God's Story: The Biblical Narrative from Beginning to End (B & H Academic, 2006), review published in Themelios 36/2 (July, 2011) 275-6. Online at http://thegospelcoalition.org/themelios/review/telling_gods_story_t he_biblical_narrative_from_beginning_to_end
- Album review of “A Very Loud Quiet Time: SONICFLOOd,” The Mediator 3:1 (2001).
- “Images of War and Peace in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8,” Wesleyan Theological Society annual meeting, Boise, Idaho, March 8, 2014.
- “Ecclesiastes in Recent Research: Sneed, Barbour, Weeks, Robinson,” Evangelical Theological Society Northeast regional meeting, Schenectady, N.Y. March 29, 2014.
- “'Disaster upon the Land': A Neglected Theme in Ecclesiastes,” Auckland University Seminar, June, 2014.
- “War and Disaster in Ecclesiastes,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, San Diego, November, 2014.
- "Unsustainable: Sin and the Environment in Genesis 6-9" (with Daniel Ware), Nyack Scholars Symposium, Nyack, N.Y. November 6, 2014.
- “Among the Ruins of a Walled City: Reflections on War and Peace in Ecclesiastes 12:1-7,” paper read for Society of Biblical Literature Regional Meeting, Bourbonnais, Ill., February 9, 2013.
- “Justice Like Waters: Justice and Oppression in the Book of Amos,” Nyack Scholars Symposium, February 14, 2013. Nyack College, New York.
- “Order and Chaos: Theological Elements in Genesis 1—3,” Evangelical Theological Society Regional Meeting, Nyack, N.Y., April 6, 2013.
- “Re-Creating after the Flood: The New Creation in Genesis 8— 9,” New Creation: Scripture, Theology, Praxis. An Interdisciplinary Conference. Rochester, Oct 19, 2013.
- “Conceptions of Space: The Functions of Nehemiah's Wall” (with Pierce VanDunk), Nyack Scholars Symposium, Nyack, N.Y. November 7, 2013.
- “Grammatical Shifts for Rhetorical Purposes in the Hebrew Bible,” paper read for Evangelical Society Regional Meeting, Hamilton, Massachusetts, April 21, 2012.
- “Preaching the Preacher: The Wisdom of Ecclesiastes,” The Bible Tells Me So conference, Northwest Nazarene University, February 10-12, 2011. (papers published 2011)
- “The Double Doors are Closed; Images of War in Ecclesiastes 12:1-7,” read for Society of Biblical Literature Regional Meeting, New Brunswick, N.J. March 17-18, 2011.
- “The City under Siege: Images of War in Ecclesiastes 12:1-7,” read for The City in the Hebrew Bible conference, Cambridge University, England, April 6-8, 2011 (papers published, see publications).
- “Moby-Dick's Allusions to Ecclesiastes,” paper read for Society of Biblical Literature Regional Meeting, New Brunswick, N.J. March 11, 2010.
- “What the Preacher Told Me: The Message of Ecclesiastes,” paper read for Nyack Scholars Symposium, April 6, 2010.
- “Joy or Despair? The Wisdom of Ecclesiastes,” paper read for Evangelical Theological Society Regional Meeting, April 17, 2010, Schenectady, N.Y.
- “I Find No Pleasure in Ecclesiastes,” paper read for NyackScholars Symposium, October 6, 2010.
- “Love Is...,” devotional for the faculty and staff of Nyack College, February 11, 2009.
- “Ecclesiastes in the Arts (and culture),” paper read for Evangelical Theological Society Regional Meeting, March 21, 2009, Nyack, N.Y.
- “Mishpat: The Hebrew Concept of Justice.” Panel on Social Justice (panelist and presenter), Nyack College, N.Y., March 30, 2009.
- “Chasing the Wind with Ecclesiastes and Moby Dick,” paper read for the faculty of Nyack College, N.Y. Sep 24, 2009.
- “The Biblical View of Manhood and Womanhood in Genesis,” Bailey Library Symposium, Nyack College, 2008.
- “What's the Point? The Wisdom of Ecclesiastes” presentation to the Hudson Valley Men of God at the Salvation Army, Beacon, N.Y., April 21, 2007.
- “Tenth of Tishri,” devotional for the faculty and staff of Nyack College, N.Y., 2006.
- “Literary Connections in Amos 1-2,” paper read for the faculty of Houghton College, N.Y. Jan, 2006.
- “The Language of Qoheleth,” paper read for the faculty of Nyack College, N.Y. Oct, 2006.
- “The Truth about Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code,” seminar at Fishkill Church of the Nazarene, N.Y., June 25, 2006 (with Christi-An C. Bennett).
- “Introduction to Isaiah,” seminar at Westchester Chapel, N.Y. 2003
- “Pearls before Swine,” seminar at Westchester Chapel, N.Y. 2003
- “Building God's Kingdom,” devotional delivered at Guatemala 2002: Global Nazarene Theology Conference (in Spanish).
Academic & Professional Memberships
- Society for Old Testament Studies
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Modern Languages
- English, Native or Bilingual Proficiency
- Spanish,Native or Bilingual Proficiency
- French, Elementary Proficiency
- Portuguese, Elementary Proficiency
- Tagalog, Elementary Proficiency
- Ancient Languages
- Biblical Hebrew, Advanced Reading Proficiency