Faculty & Staff
Jointly Appointed Faculty
Matthew Michael, PhD
Dean, Theological College of Africa
Senior Professor of Old Testament Mission
African Theology Specialist
International Experiences: England, Germany, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Old Testament, ECWA Theological Seminary, Jos, Nigeria
- Doctoral Seminars, Bengelhaus/Protestant Department, Tuebingen University, Tuebingen, Germany
- Doctoral Seminars, Dpts of Old and New Testaments, Faculty of Theology, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- Master of Arts in Biblical Studies, Old Testament, ECWA Theological Seminary, Jos, Nigeria
- Bachelor of Arts in Theology, Missions, ECWA Theological Seminary, Jos, Nigeria
- Yahweh's Elegant Speeches of Abrahamic Narratives: A Study of the Stylistics, Characterizations, and Functions of the Divine Speeches in Abrahamic Narratives
- Professor of Old Testament, Department of Christian Religious Studies, Faculty of Arts, Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Nigeria
- Visiting Professor of Old Testament, ECWA Theological Seminary, Kagoro, Kaduna State, Nigeria
- Visiting Professor of Theology, West African Theological Seminary (WATS), Lagos, Nigeria
- Visting Professor of Old Testament, ECWA Theological College, Abuja, Nigeria
- Research Fellow, the Faculty of Theology, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Lecturer, Faculty of Arts, Christian Religious Department, Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Nigeria
- Academic Dean, ECWA (Evangelical Church of West Africa) Theological Seminary, Kagoro, Nigeria
- Associate Professor, ECWA (Evangelical Church of West Africa) Theological Seminary, Kagoro, Nigeria
- Adjunct Lecturer, West African Theological Seminary, Lagos, Nigeria
- Old Testament
- Hebrew Grammar and Syntax
- Old Testament Theology
- Expository Preaching of Old Testament Books
- African Theology
Ministry & Professional Experiences
- Church Planter, Church Planting Partner International, Northern Nigeria
- Collegiate Ministry, University of Jos (Unijos), Jos, Nigeria
- Matthew Michael, Christian Theology & African Traditions (Eugene, Oregon: Wipf & Stock, 2013)
- Matthew Michael, Yahweh’s Elegant Speeches of Abrahamic Narratives (Carlisle, Cumbria: Langham Partnership, 2014)
Publications: Academic Articles
- “The Prophet, the Witch and the Ghost: Understanding the Parody of Saul as a ‘Prophet’ and the Purpose of Endor in Deuteronomistic History,” JSOT 38, no. 3 (2014): 315-346.
- “The Achan/Achor Traditions: The Parody of Saul as “Achan” in 1 Samuel 14: 24-15:35,” OTE 26, no. 3 (2013): 730-760.
- “African Theology and the Paradox of Missions: Three Intellectual Responses to the Modern Missions Crisis of the African Church.” Transformation (2014):1-20.
- “Saul’s Prophetic Representations and Its Parody in 1 Samuel.” OTE 26, no. 1 (2013): 111-136.
- “Divine Covenant Faithfulness in the Face of Human Covenant Unfaithfulness: Is Yahweh’s Covenant Faithfulness Ultimately Contingent Upon Human Obedience? Testamentum Imperium: An International Theological Journal 3 (2011):1-29.
- “Yahweh and the “Hardening” of Pharaoh’s Heart: The Polemics of Yahweh’s Representation and Its Politics in Exodus.” Testamentum Imperium: An International Theological Journal 2 (2009): 1-20. 7.
- “Orpah and her Interpreters: Evaluating the Justifications for the Traditional-Stereotyped Reading.” Old Testament Essays 24, no. 2 (2011): 392-415.
- “The Twilight of the Gods: Hidden Polemic in Joshua 10:11-13.” Journal of Hebrew Studies 55 (2014): 261-274.
- “Divine Providence or Good Luck?: A Biblical Theology of Providence Compared with ‘Chance’ and ‘Good Luck’ in Greco-Roman and African Traditions.” African Journal of Evangelical Theology 28, no. 1 (2009): 23-41.
- “Old Testament Angelology and the African Understanding of the Spirit World: Exploring the Forms, Motifs, and Descriptions.” Old Testament Essays 21, no. 3 (2008): 692-712.
- “Secret Talk & Eavesdropping Scenes: Its Literary Effects & Significance in Biblical Narrative.” Vetus Testamentum 65 (2015): 911-113.
- “Military Revolutions in Northern Israel and Military Oligarchies in Africa.” In Biblical Studies and Leadership in Africa, eds. S.O. Abogunrin. Biblical Studies Series no.7, 188-195 (Ibadan: Nigerian Association for Biblical Studies, 2009).
- “The Two Prostitutes or the Two Kingdoms? A Critical Reading of King Solomon’s Wise Ruling (1 Kgs 3:16-28).” Horizons in Biblical Theology 37 (2015): 69-88.
- “Anger Management & Biblical Characters: A Study of ‘Angry Exchange’ among Characters of Hebrew Narrative.” OTE 28, no. 2 (2015): 1-29.
- “Jürgen Moltmann and the Theology of the Cross in Johannine Priestly Prayer.” Scriptura 114 (2015): 1-12. 16.
- “The Art of Persuasion & the Book of Ruth: A Study of the Use of Literary Devices in the Persuasive Speeches of Ruth 1:6-18.” Hebrew Studies (2015):201-218.
- “Liberation in Exodus and the Quest for Peace in Africa: Beyond the Rhetoric of Liberation and the Mapping of Peace in Exodus.” Sapentia 7, no. 1 (2015): 52-91.
- “Of Bombs, Grenades and the Church: Violent Attacks of Islamic Militias and the Ethical-Theological Options for Evangelical Christians in Northern Nigeria.” Renewal 1, no. 2 (2014): 27-42. 19.
- “Daniel at the Beauty Pageant and Esther in the Lion’s Den: Literary Intertextuality and Shared Motifs Between the books of Daniel and Esther.” OTE 29, no. 1 (2016): 116-132.
Continuing Education Experiences
- International Council of Higher Education (ICHE), 26th to 29th October, 2015.
- Langham Expository Conference, 6th to 9th October, 2015.
- Theological Education in Africa Conference (TEA), Jos, May, 2015.
- Overseas Council International (OCI), Ghana, 2015.
- Theological Education in Africa Conference (TEA), Jos, 2013.
- International Council of Evangelical Theological Education (ICETE), Kenya, 2012.
- Society of Biblical Literature Annual Conference, Atlanta, United States, 2010.
- Bengelhaus Fellowship, Tuebingen, Germany, 2009
- International Conference at Stellenbosch, South Africa [150years Celebration of Theology in South Africa, 22nd to 26th June, 2009]
- Theological Education in Africa Conference, Jos, Nigeria, 2nd to 6th June, 2008
- Langham International Pastor’s Conference, Jos, Nigeria, 19th to 24th July 2008.
- Nigerian Association of Biblical Studies [20th National Annual Conference, 3rd to 6th July, 2007]
- Nigerian Association of Biblical Studies Northern Zone [Second Annual Conference, 28-29th February, 2008]
- Nigerian Association of Biblical Studies Northern Zone[First Annual Conference, 22nd to 23rd February, 2007]
Membership in Professional Organizations
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Old Testament Society of South Africa
- Langham Fellowship, United Kingdom
- Bengelhaus Graduate Fellowship, Tuebingen, Germany
- Nigerian Association for Biblical Studies
- Jos-Bukuru Theological Society, Nigeria
- Hokma House: Centre for Biblcal Research & Preaching
- English: Fluent Proficiency
- Hausa: Fluent Proficiency
- Yoruba: Fluent Proficiency
- Igala: Fluent Proficiency