Faculty & Staff
Jointly Appointed Faculty
Mathieu Sègbégnon Gnonhossou, PhD
Professor of African Theology
Public Theology Specialist
International Experiences: Benin, United Kingdom, United States
- Doctor of Philosophy, Public Theology, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
- Doctor of Ministry, Family & Counseling, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY, USA
- Master of Arts, Intercultural Mission, Fresno Pacific University Biblical Seminary, Fresno, CA, USA
- Maître ès lettres (Master of Arts), Linguistics and Communication, Université d’Abomey-Calavi, Cotonou, Benin
- Licencié ès lettres (Bachelor of Arts), Linguistics and Communication, Université d’Abomey-Calavi, Cotonou, Benin
- Baccalauréat G2 (BAC), Quantitative Technique of Management, Université d’Abomey-Calavi, Cotonou, Benin
Doctoral Dissertation (Manchester)
- Imperial Kenosis as A Political Medicine: An Afro-Wesleyan Public Theology of the Cross
Doctoral Dissertation (Asbury)
- Reconstructing justice in the land : how urban evangelical congregations in Cotonou and Porto-Novo can respond to the escalating phenomenon of antisocial behaviors
Master's Thesis (Université d’Abomey-Calavi)
- Problématique de l’Éducation Morale à Travers les Media Audiovisuels: Cas des Émissions Acakpodji de la Télévision Nationale et Rendez-Vous Culturel en Fon de la Radio Nationale [The Issue of Ethical Education through Audiovisual Media : Case Studies of Acakpodji of National TV and Rendez-Vous Cultural en Fon of National Radio]
Master's Research (Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary)
- Research: The Challenge of Evil Powers: Toward a Liberating Paradigm of Pastoral Care
- Board Certified Coach (BCC), Center for Credentialing & Education, USA
- Family Mediator, Lexington District Court, Administrative Office of the Court, Lexington, KY
- Certified Professional, Workplace Conflict Mediator, Mediation Training Int’l & Eckerd College
- Certified Trainer, Workplace Conflict Mediator, Mediation Training Int’l & Eckerd College
- Licensed Pastor, United Methodist Church, Kentucky Annual Conference, District of Lexington
- Certified Candidate, Elder Track, Kentucky Annual Conference, District of Lexington
- Adjunct Professor in African Studies, Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, KY, USA
- Intern Teaching, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY, USA
- Visiting Teacher, West Africa Theological Seminary, Lagos, Nigeria
- African Theology
- Public Theology
- African Christianity
Ministry & Professional Experiences
- Adjunct Faculty in Missiology, How Shall They Hear: Cross Cultural Communication Strategies, Perspectives on the World Christian Movement Perspective Course,
Lexington, KY March 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Workshop Facilitator, 24/7 Dads Parenting Class, Global Parish Inc. An International and Interdenominational Church, Lexington, KY February 2017-Present
- Organizing Pastor, All Nations UMC-African Ministries
- All Nations UMC, Nicholasville, KY Spring 2016-Present
- Consultant Hospitality/Care for Visiting International Scholars, Asbury Theological Seminary (via Provost), January 2016-June 2016
- Core Group Member, Restorative Justice Program, Juvenile Restorative Justice, Lexington, KY July 2014-Spring 2016
- Adjunct Faculty, Doctor of Ministry, Four Syllabi Creation, Peacebuilding and Conflict Transformation Cohort Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY, January 2013-January
- Assistant Pastor, Preaching and Pastoral Services, Global Parish, Inc.: An International and Interdenominational Church, Lexington, KY Dec. 2011- May 2015.
- Workshop Facilitator, 10 Great Dates Marriage Enrichment (with my wife), Wesley UMC, Lexington, KY October 2014- December 2014.
- Workshop Facilitator, 24/7 Dads Parenting Class, Parenting Class, Global Parish Inc. An International and Interdenominational Church, Lexington, KY, February 2014-April 2014.
- Workshop Facilitator, 10 Great Dates Marriage Enrichment (with my wife), Nia Community UMC, Lexington, KY, January 2014-March 2014.
- Co-Founder, Team Leadership Member, Missional Movement International Lexington, KY March 2010- January 2014
- Vice-President, Re-envisioning Ministry as Holistic Ministry, Mouvement Missionnaire pour l’Évangile de Christ, République du Benin, August 2002-January 2014.
- Workshop Facilitator, 10 Great Dates Marriage Enrichment, (with my wife), Nia Community UMC, Lexington, KY, May 2012-July 2012.
- Workshop Facilitator, 10 Great Dates Marriage Enrichment (with my wife), All Nations UMC, Nicholasville, KY, Feb. 2012-April 2012.
- Seminarius Marriage Enrichment and Research Coordinator, Research and Writing Internship, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY July 2008-March 2010
- Postdoctoral Intern, Learning and Implementing Leadership Competencies Spiritual Leadership, Inc. (SLI), Lexington, KY August 2008- August 2010
- Intern Pastor, Pastoral Care and Leadership, ex-Clovis Free Methodist Church (New Life Community Church), Clovis, CA, Spring 2004
- Intern Pastor, Pastoral Care and Leadership, ex-Clovis FM Church (New life Community Church), Clovis, CA Sept. 14- Oct. 12, 2003
- Co-Founder & President, Mouvement Missionnaire pour l’Évangile de Christ, Renewal Movement within the Methodist Church of Benin, August 1998- August 2002
Chapter in Published Books
- “Narrative Healing with Scripture through the Agony of Post-colonialism,” in Glimmers of Hope: Toward the Healing of Painful Life Experiences through Narrative Counseling, edited by
Tapiwa Mucherera, Wipf and Stock, 2013.
- Powers, Principalities, and the Spirit: Biblical Realism in Africa and the West, by Esther E. Acolatse, Grand Rapid: William B. Eerdmans, 2018. 243 pages, in Wesleyan Theological
Journal, (Accepted and forthcoming)
- "The Audacity of Christian Missions: The Antioch Multiethnic Church Planting Model for African Reverse Missionaries in Post-Christendom Britain." By Anderson Moyo, Saarbrücken:
LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, 2015, Pp. x +163, Religious Study Reviews, Vol. 43, Issue 1, p.73, March 2017.
- "John Wesley’s Theology and Public Life: His Sociopolitical Thought in the Ghanain Context." By Paul Kwabena Boafo, Accra: Asempa Publishers, 2014, Pp. xxii +335, Religious Studies
Reviews, Vol. 43, Issue 1, p.73, March 2017.
- "Rethinking Mission in the Postcolony: Salvation, Society and Subversion. By Marion Grau. New York: T & T Clark International, 2011. Pp. ix + 293, Religious Studies Reviews, Vol. 38, Issue 3,
p.146, Sept. 2012.
- "Making and Unmaking Nations: War, Leadership, and Genocide in Modern Africa." By Scott Straus, Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press, 2015. Pp xiii+386, Journal of Retracing
- "Africa: Why Economists Get It Wrong". By Morten Jerven, London: Zed Books, 2015. Pp ix + 160, Journal of Retracing Africa (forthcoming).
- “Discipleship,” in Global Wesleyan Dictionary of Biblical Theology (forthcoming).
Articles on the Web
- “Why the Christian Intellectual Tradition is Indebted to Africa,” August 3, 2015, Seedbed.com
- “To End Chaos: Atonement Beyond Forensics,” April 12, 2013, Seedbed.com
- Panelist, Africa Today: the Problems, the Progress and the Promises, Black History Month, African Students Association, Eastern Kentucky University, April 26th, 2019.
- Paper Presenter, Public Cruciformity as a Political Medicine: An African Reading of Wesley and European Slave Trade, Postgraduate Seminar, Nazarene Theological College, Didsbury,
Manchester, United Kingdom, February 02, 2018.
- Workshop Presenter, Solutions Out of Court: How your Marriage Can Become a Healing Place, All Nations UMC-African Ministries, Nicholasville, KY, October 21, 2017.
- Workshop Presenter, Living in Marital Team: Discover and Unlock the Rich Potentials in your Partner, All Nations UMC-African Ministries, Nicholasville, KY, May 27, 2017.
- Workshop Presenter, Building a Marriage of Freedom and Victory, Evangel of Christ Missional Movement, Parakou & Porto-Novo, Republic of Bénin, July 28-29, 2017 & August 11-12, 2017.
- Panelist, Africa Today: the Problems, the Progress and the Promises, Black History Month, African Students Association, Eastern Kentucky University, February 28th, 2016.
- Guest Teacher, “The Spread of Christianity and Islam in Africa,” HIS/AAS 254-001: History of Sub-Saharan Africa, University of Kentucky, February 20, 2014. Presentation in Dr. Francis
- Guest Teacher, Second-Wave Liberation Movements in Africa: The Burkina-Faso Revolution, HIS/AAS 254-001: History of Sub-Saharan Africa, University of Kentucky March 27, 2014.
Presentation in Dr. Francis Musoni Class.
- Guest Teacher, Africa at Crossroads, Which Way Out: The United States of Africa?, HIS/AAS 254-001: History of Sub-Saharan Africa, University of Kentucky, April 24, 2014. Presentation in
Dr. Francis Musoni Class.
- Paper Presenter, Toward a Wesleyan Theology as Cruciform Theopolitics for Africa, Postgraduate Seminar, Nazarene Theological College/University of Manchester, June 28, 2013.
- Paper Presenter, Atonement and Moral Transformation in Benin, John Wesley Fellows Christmas Conference, Duke Divinity School, North Carolina, USA, January 03, 2013.
- Paper Convener, “Prayer in ‘Heart Religion,’ Jonathan Edwards and John Wesley on Religious Affections and Prayers, presented by Sangwoo Kim, John Wesley Fellowship, Christmas Conference, The Woodlands, TX, January 04, 2012.
- Workshop Presenter, Workplace Conflict Mediation Seminar, Nashville, TN. June 06-June 07, 2011. Taught Self-Mediation, Managerial Mediation, and Organizational Mediation.
- Workshop Presenter, Culture Shock, Seminar on “Growing a Multicultural Community,” at Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY, October 18, 2008.
Academic & Professional Membership
- American Association of Religion
- Academy for Professional Family Mediators
- The African Association for the Study of Religion
- The Manchester Wesley Research Center
- Wesleyan Theological Society
- African Languages
- Goun, native fluency
- Fon, native fluency
- Tori, native fluency
- Modern Languages
- French, professional and academic fluency
- English, professional and academic fluency