Alexander Breitkopf, PhD (candidate)
Instructor in Ecotheology
Ecological Ethics Specialist
International Experiences: Canada, Ethiopia, Germany, Mexico, South Africa, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy (candidate), Theology/Old Testament, McMaster Divinity College, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Master of Arts, Theology/Old Testament, Regent College, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Bachelor of Arts, History, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
- מה־אנוש: Lament, Penitence, and the Eco-Anthropology of Job (In progress)
- Adjunct Professor, Redeemer University College, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Lecturer, McMaster Divinity College / McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Lecturer, Emmanuel Bible College, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
- Graduate Assistant, McMaster Divinity College, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Teaching Assistant, Regent College, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Biblical Eco-ethics
- Old Testament Theology & Ethics
- Old Testament Wisdom Literature
- Program Supervisor, A Rocha Canada, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Guest Preaching – Hamilton Mennonite Church, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Guest Preaching – Bethany Baptist Church, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Regular Lay-Preacher – Marineview Chapel, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Ministry Intern, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Selected Community Involvement
- Volunteer Bicycle Mechanic, Bikes for Newcomers Program (New Hope Community Bikes)
- Internship trainer, "Creation and Fall” and “Sabbath” (A Rocha Canada in Hamilton, ON)
- Workshop Presenter, “A Biblical Basis for Creation Care & Ecological Justice” (Cahoots Festival)
- Panelist, “A 40 Mile Feast” (Kirkwall Presbyterian Church)
- Study Leader, “Food Forethought” (Hill Street Community Garden)
- Founding Member/ Facilities Team Volunteer, (Mustard Seed Co-op)
- Regular Volunteer, (A Rocha Canada in Hamilton, ON)
Journal & Dictionary Articles
- “Unleavened Bread” to “Water” in Expository Dictionary of Old Testament and New Testament Words (Baker), forthcoming 2018.
- “Providence” in Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception (Berlin: de Gruyter), forthcoming 2017.
- “The Importance of Response in the Book of Job” Canadian Theological Review 4:1 (2015) 1–14.
- “Danger! State Funding of Churches.” Church Leader in Africa 15:2 (2005) 6–7.
- “(Re)Signifying Creation: Viewpoint in Job as a Basis for a Christian Environmental Ethic,” (Emerging OT Scholar’s session) IBR/SBL Annual, 2015.
- “The Importance of Response in the Book of Job,” (Founder’s Prize) CSBS Annual, 2015.
Academic & Professional Memberships
- Editorial & Leadership Experiences
- Assistant Book Review Editor – Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (JHS)
- Co-Founder, Co-Chair – IBR research group “Ecological Ethics and Biblical Studies”
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Canadian Society of Biblical Studies
- Institute for Biblical Research
- Canadian American Theological Association
- Ancient Languages
- Hebrew, Advanced Reading Proficiency