Christine Lawton, PhD
Dean of Study Beyond Experiences
Professor of Christian Education
International Experience: Belize, China, Hong Kong, India, Macau, Mexico, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Educational Studies, Curriculum and Instruction, St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO
- Master of Education, Multicultural Education, Eastern University, St. Davids, PA
- Bachelor in Christian Education, Trinity Lutheran College, Issaqua, WA
- Bacheor of Science, Biblical Studies, Trinity Lutheran College, Issaqua, WA
- A Qualitative Research Study of Churches Committed to Intergenerational Ministry
- Professor, School of Education, Concordia University, Irvine, CA
- Global Studies Assessment Coordinator, Concordia University, Irvine, CA
- Chair, Educational Effectiveness Committee, Concorida University, Irvine, CA
- Director, DCE Program, Concordia University, Irvine, CA
- Associate Professor, Christian Education, Concordia University, Irvine, CA
- Assistant Director, DCE Program, Concordia, Irvine, CA
- Adjunct Professor, St.Louis University, St. Louis, MO
- Christian Education
- Qualitative Research
- Program Administration & Assessment
- Curriculum Writing
Ministry & Professional Experiences
- Executive Director of Teacher Programs, in Belize, PathIght International, Pleasanton, CA
- Minister of Youth & Family Life, Messiah Lutheran Church, Boerne, TX
- Director of Education and Assimilation, Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, St. Louis, MO
- Christian Education & Youth Coordinator, Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Corvallis, OR
- Teacher, Spruce Hill Christian School, Philadelphia, PA
- Supervisor, Chester Literacy & GED Program, Chester, PA
- Teacher, Cornerstone Christian Academy, Philadelphia, PA
- Short term Missionary, Joshua Project, Pasadena, CA / Bangkok, Thailand
International Mission & Consultations
- Consultant, Pathlight International, Belize, Central America
- Mission Leader, Vocations Without Borders, China Team Member
- Internship Supervisor, New Zealand, Peru & Vietnam, for Concordia University, Irvine, CA
- Consultant, LCMS World Mission, Asia Office, Hong Kong
- Consultant, Orphans Faith Home, Machilipatnum, India
Publications - Articles
- Four Congregations that Practice Intergenerationality. Christian Education Journal, Volume 9, Spring 2012
- Professor Uses Sabbatical to Carry Out the Great Commission. Concordia Today, Spring Edition, 2, 2011.
- Faculty Newsletter: “Sabbatical Checklist or Your Future Job?” The Concordia Courier, 5 (6), 2, 2010.
- Intergenerational Youth Ministry: An Oxymoron or the Future? The E-Source, LCMS International Center Youth Ministry Department, November 2009.
- Concordia DCE Program Update. Christian Education Leadership E-Journal, Spring 2008. 3
- Being an Intergenerational Congregation, Issues in Christian Education. Concordia University Nebraska, 41 (2), 24-32, 2007.
- Intentional Intergenerational Ministry for the 21st Century. Christian Education Leadership E-Journal, Spring 2007.
- The effects of Philipp Melancthon’s separation of philosophy and theology: Lutheran education reforms in context of contemporary Catholic educators. Christian Education Journal, La Mirada, CA: Talbot School of Theology, August 2005.
- Big Groups, Small Groups: Sunday school Format. Teacher’s Interaction Magazine, Concordia Publishing House, Summer 2003.
- Intergenerational Christian Education: Opportunity for Building Community; LEA Monograph Series, Spring 2003.
Publications - Books
- Intergenerational Christian Formation: Bringing the Whole Church Together in Ministry, Community and Worship (co-authored with Holly Catteron-Allen), InterVarsity Press, November 2012.
- Cross Cultural Christian Education. In Dean Hansen and Brent Mai (Eds.), Together: Preparing Christian Educators for the Future, Concordia University Portland Publishing, 2011, pp.101-112.
- Ignite our minds: Reflecting on ourselves as educator, PathLight Elementary Teachers’ Training Conferences, Belmopan, Belize, July 2016.
- Expanding our Lesson Planning Toolkit & Expanding our Assessment Toolkit, PathLight Elementary Teachers’ Training Conferences, Belmopan, Belize, July 2015.
- Using 4-Mat to Enable ELL Writers, Raymond Shepherd Nazarene upper primary teachers training, Belmopan, Belize.
- Assessment Essentials, Research Assessment Day for Concordia-Irvine faculty, August 2013 and 2014.
- Self-Care is NOT Selfish: Practical Tips to Keeping Yourself in Good Working Condition LCMS 2013 National Youth Gathering, June 2013
- Christ, the Solid Rock, Crean Lutheran High School chapel, March 11 & 12, 2013
- Intergenerational Youth Ministry: Oxymoron or the Future? LCMS 2013 Youth Ministry Symposium, January 2013.
- Radio Interviews regarding Intergenerational Christian Formation:
- KFUO St. Louis, MO: October 21, 2012.
- WLQV, “Christ in the City,” Detroit, MI: October 31, 2012.
- WDCD, “Views from the Heart,” Albany, NY: December 3, 2012
- American Family Radio, Broadcasts to 200 stations, December 10, 2012
- Intergenerational Christian Formation, Lutheran Education Association, Webinar, November 14, 2012.
- Intergenerational Christian Formation. National Association, Professors of Christian education conference, October, 2012.
- How to Study the Bible. Higher Things Youth Gathering, Concordia University Irvine, July 2008 & 2012.
- Missions and Outreach, St. Luke’s Lutheran Church Council, Westminster, CA, March 2011.
- Theology of Christian Education, LCMS missionaries, Chia-ye, Taiwan, September 2010.
- A Christian Educator’s Approach to Junior High Youth Discipline, LCMS missionaries, Chia-ye, Taiwan, September 2010.
- Theology of Christian Education, LCMS GEO’s in Macau, China, & Hong Kong, October 2010.
- Writing Faith Forming Lesson Plans, LCMS GEO’s, Macau, China, & Hong Kong October 2010.
- The LCMS World Mission Work in Asia. Concordia University Irvine, November, 2010.
- Intentional Intergenerational Ministry. Lutheran Education Association, May 2008.
- The Present State of Christian Education in the Church. PSWD Circuit 14, 2007.
- Intergenerational & Family Ministry. Lord of Life Lutheran church, Tucson, AZ. June 2006.
- Sunday school Teachers Training Workshop. Arcadia, CA, June 2007.
- Healthy Families and Intergenerational Ministry. Main Speaker, Pacific Southwest District Pastor’s Conference, October 2005.
- Intergenerational Christian Education. Presenter, St. Louis University Department of Educational Studies Academic Research Seminar, March 2003.
- Maintaining Vision for Urban Ministry through Spiritual Retreats. Christian Community Development Association (CCDA) Conference, St. Louis, MO. November 2000.
- Women in Urban Ministry Panel Member, CCDA Conference, Atlanta, GA. October 1998
Membership in Academic & Professional Organizations
- North American Professors of Christian Education
- National Association of Directors of Christian Education
- Religious Education Association
- Lutheran Educators Association