Jointly Appointed Faculty
Tracey Carrillo, PhD
Distinguished Professor of Rangeland & Wildlife Ecology
Agricultural Sustainability Specialist
International Experience: Mexico, Philippines & USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Agronomy, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
- Master of Science, Entomology, Plant Pathology and Weed Science, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
- Bachelor of Science, Rangeland Management/Wildlife Sciences, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, TX
- Normalized difference vegetative index, arthropod density, water and nitrogen interactions in Acala 1517-99 cotton, Gossypium Hirsutum (L)
Master of Science Thesis
- The effects of predators and parasites on the house fly, Musca domestica L., at southern New Mexico dairies
- Administrator, Assistant Director of Campus Farm Operations, New Mexico State University, Agricultural Experiment Station, Las Cruces, NM
- Faculty, Director of Seed Certification Program, New Mexico State University, Extension Plant Sciences, Las Cruces, NM
- Senior Research Specialist, New Mexico State University, Entomology, Plant Pathology and Weed Science Department, Las Cruces, NM
- Research Specialist, New Mexico State Agricultural Experiment Station, Clovis NM
- Graduate Research Assistant, New Mexico State University Veterinary Entomology Research Laboratory
- Research Technician, Texas A&M Agricultural Experiment Station, Ft. Stockton Texas
- Range Conservationist, Soil Conservation Service, Alpine Texas
- Rangeland Instructor, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas
- Plant and Environmental Science
- Agricultural Sustainability
- Ecological and Biological Influencers
- Rangeland and Wildlife Studies
- John Deere Quality Implement Precision Farming Integrated Solution Manager
- Co-Owner, New Mexico Shrimp Co, LLC
- Litigation Expert, Proagconsultants
Invited Poster / Seminar Presentations
- Chile Field Day Leyendecker Plant Science Center”Precision Variable Rate Fertilizer Applications” 2006.
- Beltwide Cotton Conference San Antonio, Texas. “Normalized Difference Vegetative Index, Arthropod Density and Water / Nitrogen Interactions in Irrigated Acala 1517-99 Cotton, Gossypium hirsutum (L).” 2006.
- New Mexico Cotton Conference. Variable Rate Nitrogen Fertilizer Application with Precision Technology. Ruidoso, NM 2006.
- National Beltwide Cotton Conference, New Orleans, LA. Poster presented. “Associations of Normalized Difference Vegetative Index (NDVI), Arthropod Density, Plant Architecture and Agronomic Diversity in Acala 1517 Cotton”2005.
- New Mexico Crop Production Association Meeting. Ruidoso, New Mexico. Poster presented. “Reducing insecticide, nitrogen and water use in western cotton production with precision agriculture” 2005.
- Regional Cotton Conference. Ruidoso, New Mexico. Paper entitled “Using infrared Reflectance to Measure Water / Nitrogen Deficits and Lygus Density in Acala 1517 Cotton” 2005.
- Southwest Entomological Society meeting. Paper entitled “Interactions Associated with Normalized Differential Vegetative Index, Arthropod Density and Water / Nitrogen Reponses in Acala 1517-99 Cotton, Gossypium Hirsutum (L). 2005”
- Issue of ACRES magazine. Vol. 35, NO. 3, “New Weapons in the Insect War”. Developments & Discoveries in Biocontrol. Agricultural Field Day, 2005.
- Carrillo, T., J. Drake, J. Pierce, and J. Ellington. 2007. Nitrogen as a contributor to phytophagous insect density in Acala cotton 1517-99, Gossypium hirsutum (L). J. Crop Management.
- Carrillo, T., Drake, J. and Ellington, J. 2007. Interactions Associated with Normalized Difference Vegetative Index, Arthropod Density and Water / Nitrogen Responses in Acala Cotton 1517-99, Gossypium hirsutum (L). Southwest. Entomol. (Submitted).
- Carrillo, T., J. Lillywhite, J. Drake, J. Pierce, and J. Ellington. 2007. An economic approach to fertilizer management on cotton and its effects on Lygus density. J. of Econ. Entomol.
- LaRock, D.R., Z. Mirdad, and J.J. Ellington. 2003. Control of green peach aphids Myzus persicae with lady beetles Harmonia axyridis (Pallus) on chile Capsicum annum L. in the greenhouse. Southwest. Entomol. Pp. 28:249-253.
- Pierce, J.B., J.J. Ellington, E. Kirk and T. Carrillo. 2002. Plant population, planting date and cotton variety impact on early squaring and development of a trap crop for pink bollworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). J. Entomol. Sci. 37:219-226.
- Bowers, J.P., Carrillo, T.D., Ellington, J.J., Richman, D.B. 1997. Recovery of Apanteles angaleti (Muesebeck) from Pectinophora Gossypiella (Saunders) in the Mesilla Valley, Dona Ana, New Mexico. Southwestern Entomologist. 23:91-92.
- Joe Ellington, Morris Southward, Tracey Carrillo. 1997. Association Among Cotton Arthropods. Environmental Entomol. Pest Management and Sampling. Vol. 26, no. 5.
- Carrillo, J.R., T. D., Carrillo, and J.J., Ellington. 1994. Evaluation of pesticide resistance in Anaphes iole collected from five locations in the western United States. Southwest. Entomolo.19: 157- 160.
- Ellington, J.J., Carrillo, T.D., Larock, d. and Abd-Elsalam, A.H. 1994. Biological control of pecan insects in New Mexico 1994. Hort. Technology pg. 126-130.
Proceedings / Bulletins / Circulars
- Carrillo, T., Idowu, J., Ashigh, J., and Hamilton, C. 2011. Pesticide and Integrated Pest Management Guidelines for New Mexico Cotton Growers. Institute for Energy & the Environment.
- Ellington, J.J., T. Carrillo, J. White, C. Sutherland, and D. Richman. 2005. Guide to the biological control of some common yard and garden pest insects in New Mexico. New Mexico Circular 607.
- Richman, D.B., J. Drake, T. Carrillo, and J.J. Ellington. 2005. A color key to the common spiders found in alfalfa and cotton in New Mexico. New Mexico Circular.
- Ellington, J.J. and T. Carrillo. 2003. Black Aphid Control. XXXVIV Annual Western Pecan Conference Proceedings.
- Ellington, J.J. and T. Carrillo. 2002. Integrated biological control of cotton insets in New Mexico. International Cotton Pest Work Committee. Mazatlan, Mexico. Proceedings.
- Carrillo, T.D., D. LaRock, A.H. Abd El-Salam, J.J. Ellington. 1994. Evaluation of beneficial insects for control of pecan pests. 28th Western Pecan Conference Proceedings.
- Carrillo, T.D., J.J. Ellington. 1994. Sampling, counting and modeling insect populations in cotton ecosystems. XXIX Congreso Nacional De Entomologia Proceedings. Monterry, Mexico.
- Ellington, J.J., T.D., Carrillo. 1994. A computer assisted recognition system for cotton. Proceedings for National Cotton Council Beltwide Conference in San Diego.
- Ellington, J.J., A. Amin., Z.,Sawiers. T.D., Carrillo. 1994. A comparison of three sampling methods for arthropods in cotton in New Mexico. Proceedings for National Cotton Council Beltwide Conference in San Diego.
- Ellington, J.J., A, Amin., Z., Sawiers. T.D., Carrillo. 1994. A comparison of dispersion and regression indices for Heliothis spp. in cotton in New Mexico. Proceedings for National Cotton Council Beltwide Conference in San Diego.
- Richman, D.B., Dean, D.A., Carrillo, T.D., Ellington, J.J., Sarabia and Schneider, P.K. A computer- aided key to the spiders in Egyptian cotton fields. American Arachnological Society National Meeting. University of Florida. 1994.
Membership in Professional & Academic Organizations
- World Aquaculture Association 2014-present
- New Mexico Aquaponics Association 2014-2016
- Alfalfa Hay Growers Association, 1998-present
- Chile Growers Association 1996- present
- Sigma-Xi Scientific Society, 1998 – present.
- Pecan Growers Association, 1990 – present
- Cotton Growers Association 1990 – present
- Board of Directors, Cowboys for Cancer Research, 2003-present
- Hope Centers International 2013-present
- Member of the Board, 4-H rodeo, 2015