Jointly Appointed Faculty
Dr. Getachew Demisse, PhD
Professor of GeoMission
International Experience: Botswana, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Japan, Peru, Rwanda, South Africa, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Information Systems, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Master of Science, Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (GIS and Remote Sensing), International Institute for Geo-information Science and Earth Observation, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
- Bachelor of Science, Forestry, Haramaya University (formerly Alemaya University of Agriculture), Alemaya, Ethiopia
- Knowledge Discovery from Satellite Images for Drought Monitoring
- Spatial Distribution of Savannah Woody Species Biodiversity in Serowe, Botswana
Certifications & Continuing Education
- Certificate in Windows Programming Using C#, January 2015
- Certificate in Remote Sensing with Emphasis to Radar Technology for water resources assessment and management, July 2014
- Certificate in MATLAB for Digital Image Processing, November 2011
- Certificate in GEONETCAST for Natural and Water Resources Management, AAU-Dept. Geography/IWMI/ITC, November 2010
- Certificate in GIS and Remote Sensing for the Use of Low cost Earth Observation Data in Environmental and Climate Monitoring Application, AMESD-Rwanda, October 2009
- Certificate in Geo-information for Food Security, Department of Geography, University of Johannesburg, South Africa, April 2007
- Certificate in Operating Video Cameras and Filming, March 2001
- Certificate in Computer Science, Ethio Computer Training, June 2000.
- Geodata data mining, machine learning and analysis
- Remote sensing using satellite imagery
- Programming in advance application development
- Database management systems
Academic & Research Experiences
- Post-doctoral Researcher, National Drought Mitigation Center, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
- Assistant Professor, GIS and Remote Sensing, School of Earth Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Database Advisor, Climate Science Center, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Associate GIS and Forestry Researcher, Institute of Biodiversity Conservation, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Forestry Expert, Biodiversity Institute-GTZ, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Senior Forestry Technician, Woody Biomass Inventory and Strategic Planning Project, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Lecturer, HiLCoE School of Computer Science and Technology, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Lecturer, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and GIS Technical Assistant, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Publications: Peer Reviewed Journals
- Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Atnafu, Hill, S., Wardlow, B.D., Bayissa, Y., Shiferaw, A. (2017). Information Mining from Heterogeneous Data Sources: A Case Study on Drought Predictions, doi:10.3390/info8030079.
- Bayissa, Y., Tadesse, T., Demisse, G., Shiferaw, A. (2017). Evaluation of Satellite-Based Rainfall Estimates and Application to Monitor Meteorological Drought for the Upper Blue Nile Basin, Ethiopia, Remote Sensing, doi:10.3390/rs9070669.
- Tadesse, T., Champagne, C., Wardlow, B. D., Hadwen, T. A., Brown, J. F., Demisse, G., Bayissa, Y. A. (2017). Building the Vegetation Drought Response Index for Canada (VegDRI-Canada) to Monitor Agricultural Drought: First Results. GIScience Remote Sensing, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15481603.2017.1286728, pp. 1 – 28.
- Workineh, G., Demisse, G., Nedaw, D. (2016). Evaluation of Surface Energy Balance System (SEBS) Model for Estimation of Evapotranspiration in Eastern Ethiopia. Journal of Resources Development and Management, vol. 25, pp. 52 – 59.
- Hundera, H., Demisse, G. B., Weldeamlak, B. (2016). Remote Sensing and GIS Based Agricultural Drought Risk Assessment in East Shewa Zone, Central Rift Valley Region of Ethiopia. Journal of Environment and Earth Science, vol. 6(7), pp. 48 - 54. http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEES/article/view/31895
- Eshetie, S. M., Demisse, G., Suryabhagavan, K. (2016). Evaluation of Vegetation Indices for Agricultural Drought Monitoring in East Amhara, Ethiopia. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, vol. 5, pp. 535 – 540.
- Tesfay, A., Demisse, G., and Asfaw, M. (2016), Developing Conceptual Land Grade Model for Bench Mark Lease Price Determination using Fuzzy Analytical Hierarchy Process and GIS Approach: A Case of Woldiya City, Ethiopia, Civil and Environmental Research, Vol.8, No.5, pp. 20 – 35.
- Tadesse, T., Tonya, H., Nicole, W., Andualem, S., Zaitchik., B., Shimelis, B. and Demisse, G., Jacob, P. (2016), Linking Seasonal Predictions into Decision-making and Disaster Management in the Greater Horn of Africa, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 2016 ; e-View doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-15-00269.1.
- Girma, T., Mirgissa, K., Adugna, W., Wakgari, D., Belay, S., Abera, K., Demisse, G. (2015), Modeling effect of climate variability on malaria in Ethiopia, Ethiopian Journal of Health Development, vol. 29 (3), pp. 183-196, e-View: http://ejhd.org/index.php/ejhd/article/view/346.
- Demisse, G., Tadesse, T, and Atnafu, S. (2015), Drought Spatial Object Prediction Approach using Artificial Neural Network, Geoinformatics & Geostatistics: An Overview, vol. 3, pp. 1 – 7, http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2327-4581.1000132.
- Tadesse, T., Senay, G., Demisse, G., Teshome, R., Shimelis, .B. (2015). Evaluating a satellite-based seasonal evapotranspiration product and identifying its relationship with other satellite-derived products and crop yield: A case study for Ethiopia, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 40, pp. 39–54.
- Demisse, G., Shawndra, H., Tadesse. T., Solomon, A. (2014). Drought Prediction System for Improved Climate Change Mitigation, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 52(7), pp. 4032 - 4037, DOI 10.1109/TGRS.2013.2279020.
- Tadesse, T., Demisse, G., Zaitchik, B. and Dinku, T. (2014). Satellite-based Hybrid Drought Monitoring Tool for Prediction of Vegetation Condition in Eastern Africa: A Case Study for Ethiopia, Water Resources Research (Impact Factor: 3.15). 01/2014; DOI: 10.1002/2013WR014281.
- Negash, S. & Demisse, G. (2013), Mobile early drought warning system, Global Journal on Advances in Pure & Applied Sciences, Vol. 1, pp 622-626. http://www.world-education-center.org/index.php/paas.
- Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Solomon, A., Hill, S., and Yitaktu, T. (2012), Normalized Difference Vegetation Index and Standard Precipitation Index Parameters to Monitor Drought at National Scale: The Case of Ethiopia," Ethiopian Journal of Development Research, vol. 34, pp. 67 - 94.
- Demisse, G., Hill, S., Tadesse, T., and, Solomon, A. (2011), Using Satellite Images for Drought Monitoring: A Knowledge Discovery Approach, Journal of Strategic Innovation and Sustainability, vol. 7, pp. 135 - 153.
- Demisse, G. and Taye, B. (2006), Population structure and spatial distribution of four woody medicinal plants in Bonga Forest, Ethiopia, JOURNAL OF NATURAL RESOURCES, vol. 8, pp. 19 - 38.
Publications: Books and Book Chapters
- Demisse, G. (2012) GIS and Remote Sensing for Mapping Species Spatial Distributions: GIS and Remote Sensing for Natural Resources Management, ISBN : 9783846542125 / 3846542121, available at http://www.bookrenter.com/getachew-berhan-demisse/textbooks-by
- Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Solomon, A., and Hill, S. (2010), Drought Monitoring in- Food-Insecure Areas of Ethiopia by Using Satellite Technologies, in Experience of Climate Change Adaptation in Africa, Climate Change Management, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-22315-0_11, W. L. Filho, Ed., 2010, pp. 1145 - 1162.
Peer Reviewed Proceedings
- Demisse, G. (2015) Improving Temporal Resolutions of Drought Predictions Using Knowledge Discovery from Database Approach, AGU CHAPMAN CONFERENCE, Irvine, California, U.S.A., 20 – 22 April, 2015, available at
- https://agu.confex.com/agu/15chapman1/webprogram/Paper33467.html, https://agu.confex.com/agu/15chapman1/webprogram/allauthors.html.
- Demisse, G., Tadesse, T.; Solomon, A., Hill, S. (2013). Drought information mining from satellite images for improved climate change mitigation, Information and Communication Technologies (WICT-IEEE), 2012 World Congress, October 30, 2012 - November 2, 2012, pp. 197 – 202, ISBN: 978-1-4673-4806-5, DOI: 10.1109/WICT.2012.6409074, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6409074&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6409074
- Demisse, G., Tadesse, T., Solomon, A. and Hill, S. (2011). Drought Object Modeling for Climate Change Mitigation: The Case of Ethiopia, in Building Software in the Developing World, Proceedings of the 1st EICTF October 27, 2011, Addis Ababa: Ethiopian ICT Forum, 2011.
- Demisse, G., Solomon, A. and Hill, S., Anat, Z. (2010). Knowledge Discovery from Satellite Images for Drought Monitoring in Food Insecure Areas, in Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS) 2010 Conference Proceeding: AMCIS.
- Hill, S., Anita, Demisse, G., Nathan, E. (2010). Reality Mining Africa, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, www.aaai.org.
- Demisse, G., Solomon, N., Amoroso, D. (2009). Determinants of Business Process Management for Successful Project Implementation in Low Income Countries, AMCIS 2009 Proceedings.Paper 41, http://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2009/41/.
- Demisse, G., Hussin, Y.A., van Duren, I., Lubczynski, M. and Obakeng, O.T. (2006), Remote Sensing and Geostatistics for the assessment of spatial distribution of savannah woody species biodiversity for up-scaling transpiration in Serowe, Botswana, in: 6th International Conference on Earth Observation & Geoinformation Science in Support of Africa’s Development, Cairo, Egypt.
- Tesfaye, M. and Demisse, G. (2004). The Ethiopian biodiversity perspective the current challenge and conservation strategies: Literature review. Biannual Newsletter of Institute of Biodiversity Conservation (IBC). Vol. 2, No. 2.
- Demisse, G. and Taye, B. (2004). Genetic conservation status of some woody medicinal plants in southwest moist montane forests of Ethiopia. Proceedings of the first National workshop on non-timber forest products in Ethiopia, 5-6 April 2004, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Elias, T. and Demisse, G. (2004). REGENERATION STATUS OF MOIST MONTANE FORESTS OF SOUTH WEST ETHIOPIA. Proceeding of the inaugural conference of forestry genebank, "Forest Resources of Ethiopia Status Challenges Opportunities", 27-29 Nov. 2002, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Mateos, E. and Demisse, G. (2003). INTEGRATION OF BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION WITH RESETTLEMENT AREAS, Biannual Newsletter of Forest Genetic Resources Conservation Project, IBCR. Vol. 2 No. 1.
- Demisse, G. and Yoseph, A. (2003). Conservation status of Boginda forest in SNNPR, Kefa zone, Gimbo woreda, Ethiopia. Proceeding of the inaugural conference of forestry genebank, "Forest Resources of Ethiopia Status Challenges Opportunities", 27-29 Nov. 2002, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Demisse, G. and Shiferaw, D. (2003). MDICINAL PLANTS IN BONGA FOREST AND THEIR USES. Biannual Newsletter of Forest Genetic Resources Conservation Project, IBCR. Vol. 1 No. 2.
- Demisse, G. (2003). EFFECT OF SETTLEMENT ON FOREST RESOURCES, Biannual Newsletter of Forest Genetic Resources Conservation Project, IBCR. Vol. 2, No. 1.
- Taye, B., Demisse, G., Elias, T., Mateos, E. and Kumachew, Y. (2002). REGNERATION STATUS OF MOIST MONTANE FORESTS OF ETHIOPIA: CONSIDERATION FOR CONSERVATION P I. JOURNAL OF THE ETHIOPIAN WILD LIFE AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY, No. 22, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Taye, B., Demisse, G., Sisay, Z. and Kumlachew, Y. (2001). Biodiversity Conservation in ancient church and monastery yards in Ethiopia, Proceeding of a workshop on The Darwin Initiative for the Survival of Species Program, 1 – 2 August 2001, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Taye,B., Kumlachew, Y., Demisse, G., and Sisay, Z. (2001). Forest Biodiversity Conservation: Perspectives of Ethiopian Orthodox Church, Proceeding of International. Workshop BIO-REFOR, 7 –11 October 2001, Tokyo, Japan.
Academic & Professional Memberships
Technical Software Skills
- ArcGIS, ERDAS IMAGINE, ILWIS, eCogntion, MapCubist, Weka, RuleQuest Regression Tree, C, C++, C#, Visual Basic, MatLab, R, gdal, Access, SQL Server
- English, native or bilingual proficiency
- Amharic, native or bilingual proficiency