Mick Pope, PhD
Professor of Environmental Mission
Ecotheology & Ecomissiology Specialist
International Experience: Australia
- Doctor of Philosophy, Meteorology, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
- Graduate Studies, South African Theological Seminary, Bryanston, Gauteng, ZA
- Scholar in Theology Certificate, Tyndale College, Sydney, New South Wales, AU
- Certificate IV: Workplace Assessment and Training, Australia Institute of Management, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
- Graduate Diploma in Meterorology, Bureau of Meteorology, Sydney, New South Wales, AU
- Master of Science, Theoretical Astrophysics, University of Sydney, New South Wales, AU
- Bachelor of Science, Honors, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
- Regimes of the North Australian Wet Season
- Diffusive Acceleration at Multiple Shocks
- Adjunct Professor, Eastern College, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
- Online Tutor, Science & Religion, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, AU
- Lecturer in Meteorology, Bureau of Meteorology, Sydney, New South Wales, AU
- Meteorology & Climatology
- Ecotheology & Ecomissiology
- Science & Religion Interface
- Eco-theologian, Ethos: EA Centre for Christianity and Society, Box Hill, Victoria, AU
- Fellow, Institute for the Study of Christianity in an Age of Science and Technology (ISCAST), Oakleigh, Victoria, AU
- Guest Blogger, Red Letter Christians
- Guest Blogger, Common Grace
- Subject Matter Expert, Talking About Ethics, Ridley College, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
- Subject Matter Expert for TEAR Australia DVD, Just Faith: Following Jesus in an Unequal World
Refereed Theology Papers
- “Eco-missiology and narrative: A study in Romans and eco-missiological method,” Australian Journal of Mission Studies, December 1, 2012.
- “The Earth is Full of your Creatures: A Theology of Wilderness,” Anglican EcoCare Journal of Ecotheology 1 (2014): 65-78.
- “All Things Bright and Beautiful” Toward an Aesthetic Ecotheology,” Anglican EcoCare Journal of Ecotheology 2 (2016).
- “The EcoTheology of Ross Langmead,” Australian Journal of Mission Studies, December 1, (2016).
- “Oil and Blood on the Bayonet: Empire, Oil, War and Ecology”, Interface, (2017), in press.
Other Theological Works
- S140 Climate Change, S141 Christ and the Camera Lens: A Theology of Wildlife Documentation, Zadok Paper Series, Spring 2005.
- "Science and meaning," Issues Magazine, 82, March 2008.
- S169 "Groaning of creation: A Pauline Ecomissiology based on a Narrative Reading of Romans," Zadok Paper Series, Spring 2009.
- “Preaching to the Birds,” in Michael Frost and David Jackson eds, Speaking of Mission Volume 2 (Ryde: Morling Press, 2013).
- With Claire Dawson, A Climate of Hope: Church and Mission in a Warming World (Dandenong: UNOH Publishing, 2014).
- “Grappling for Christ: Incarnational Mission at the Margins of the Church,” in Darren Cronshaw and Rosemary Dewerse eds, We Are Pilgrims: Mission from, in and with the Margins of Our Diverse World (Dandenong: UNOH Publishing, 2015).
- “With Heads Craning Forward: The Eschaton and the Nonhuman Creation in Romans 8,” in Ecotheology in the Humanities: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Understanding the Divine and Nature, ed. Melissa J. Brotton (Lanham: Lexington Books, 2016).
- “The Self-emptying Godhead: Perichoresis, Kenosis and an Ethic for the Anthropocene,” in Ecotheology and Nonhuman Ethics in Society: A Community of Compassion (Ecocritical Theory and Practice) ed. Melissa J. Brotton (Lanham: Lexington Books, 2016).
- “Rediscovering a Spirituality of Creation for the Anthropocene,” in Nature of Things ed. Graham Buxton (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock: 2016).
Refereed Science Papers
- Melrose, D.B., & Pope, M.H. 1993: Diffusive shock acceleration by multiple shocks, Proc. ASA, 10, 222-224.
- Pope, M.H., & Melrose, D.B. 1994: Diffusive shock acceleration by multiple shocks with differing properties, Proceedings Proc. ASA, 11, 175-179.
- Pope, M.H., Ball, L., & Melrose, D.B. 1996: Shock acceleration in hot spots, Proc. ASA, 13, 132-139.
- Mick Pope, Jakob, C., and Reeder, M.J. 2008a: Convective Systems of the North Australian Monsoon, J. Clim., 19, 5091-5112.
- Mick Pope, Jakob, C., and Reeder, M.J. 2009a: Objective Classification of Tropical Mesoscale Convective Systems, J. Clim., 22, 2797-5808.
- Mick Pope, Jakob, C., and Reeder, M.J. 2009b: Regimes of the North Australian Wet Season, J. Clim., 22, 6699-6715.