Tracey Carrillo, PhD
Distinguished Professor of Rangeland & Wildlife Ecology
Agricultural Sustainability Specialist
International Experience: Mexico, Philippines & USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Agronomy, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
- Master of Science, Entomology, Plant Pathology and Weed Science, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
- Bachelor of Science, Rangeland Management/Wildlife Sciences, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, TX
- Normalized difference vegetative index, arthropod density, water and nitrogen interactions in Acala 1517-99 cotton, Gossypium Hirsutum (L)
Master of Science Thesis
- The effects of predators and parasites on the house fly, Musca domestica L., at southern New Mexico dairies
- Administrator, Assistant Director of Campus Farm Operations, New Mexico State University, Agricultural Experiment Station, Las Cruces, NM
- Faculty, Director of Seed Certification Program, New Mexico State University, Extension Plant Sciences, Las Cruces, NM
- Senior Research Specialist, New Mexico State University, Entomology, Plant Pathology and Weed Science Department, Las Cruces, NM
- Research Specialist, New Mexico State Agricultural Experiment Station, Clovis NM
- Graduate Research Assistant, New Mexico State University Veterinary Entomology Research Laboratory
- Research Technician, Texas A&M Agricultural Experiment Station, Ft. Stockton Texas
- Range Conservationist, Soil Conservation Service, Alpine Texas
- Rangeland Instructor, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas
- Plant and Environmental Science
- Agricultural Sustainability
- Ecological and Biological Influencers
- Rangeland and Wildlife Studies
- John Deere Quality Implement Precision Farming Integrated Solution Manager
- Co-Owner, New Mexico Shrimp Co, LLC
- Litigation Expert, Proagconsultants
Invited Poster / Seminar Presentations
Chile Field Day Leyendecker Plant Science Center”Precision Variable Rate Fertilizer Applications” 2006.
Beltwide Cotton Conference San Antonio, Texas. “Normalized Difference Vegetative Index, Arthropod Density and Water / Nitrogen Interactions in Irrigated Acala 1517-99 Cotton, Gossypium hirsutum (L).” 2006.
New Mexico Cotton Conference. Variable Rate Nitrogen Fertilizer Application with Precision Technology. Ruidoso, NM 2006.
National Beltwide Cotton Conference, New Orleans, LA. Poster presented. “Associations of Normalized Difference Vegetative Index (NDVI), Arthropod Density, Plant Architecture and Agronomic Diversity in Acala 1517 Cotton”2005.
New Mexico Crop Production Association Meeting. Ruidoso, New Mexico. Poster presented. “Reducing insecticide, nitrogen and water use in western cotton production with precision agriculture” 2005.
Regional Cotton Conference. Ruidoso, New Mexico. Paper entitled “Using infrared Reflectance to Measure Water / Nitrogen Deficits and Lygus Density in Acala 1517 Cotton” 2005.
Southwest Entomological Society meeting. Paper entitled “Interactions Associated with Normalized Differential Vegetative Index, Arthropod Density and Water / Nitrogen Reponses in Acala 1517-99 Cotton, Gossypium Hirsutum (L). 2005”
Issue of ACRES magazine. Vol. 35, NO. 3, “New Weapons in the Insect War”. Developments & Discoveries in Biocontrol. Agricultural Field Day, 2005.
Carrillo, T., J. Drake, J. Pierce, and J. Ellington. 2007. Nitrogen as a contributor to phytophagous insect density in Acala cotton 1517-99, Gossypium hirsutum (L). J. Crop Management.
Carrillo, T., Drake, J. and Ellington, J. 2007. Interactions Associated with Normalized Difference Vegetative Index, Arthropod Density and Water / Nitrogen Responses in Acala Cotton 1517-99, Gossypium hirsutum (L). Southwest. Entomol. (Submitted).
Carrillo, T., J. Lillywhite, J. Drake, J. Pierce, and J. Ellington. 2007. An economic approach to fertilizer management on cotton and its effects on Lygus density. J. of Econ. Entomol.
LaRock, D.R., Z. Mirdad, and J.J. Ellington. 2003. Control of green peach aphids Myzus persicae with lady beetles Harmonia axyridis (Pallus) on chile Capsicum annum L. in the greenhouse. Southwest. Entomol. Pp. 28:249-253.
Pierce, J.B., J.J. Ellington, E. Kirk and T. Carrillo. 2002. Plant population, planting date and cotton variety impact on early squaring and development of a trap crop for pink bollworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). J. Entomol. Sci. 37:219-226.
Bowers, J.P., Carrillo, T.D., Ellington, J.J., Richman, D.B. 1997. Recovery of Apanteles angaleti (Muesebeck) from Pectinophora Gossypiella (Saunders) in the Mesilla Valley, Dona Ana, New Mexico. Southwestern Entomologist. 23:91-92.
Joe Ellington, Morris Southward, Tracey Carrillo. 1997. Association Among Cotton Arthropods. Environmental Entomol. Pest Management and Sampling. Vol. 26, no. 5.
Carrillo, J.R., T. D., Carrillo, and J.J., Ellington. 1994. Evaluation of pesticide resistance in Anaphes iole collected from five locations in the western United States. Southwest. Entomolo. 19: 157- 160.
Ellington, J.J., Carrillo, T.D., Larock, d. and Abd-Elsalam, A.H. 1994. Biological control of pecan insects in New Mexico 1994. Hort. Technology pg. 126-130.
Proceedings / Bulletins / Circulars
Carrillo, T., Idowu, J., Ashigh, J., and Hamilton, C. 2011. Pesticide and Integrated Pest Management Guidelines for New Mexico Cotton Growers. Institute for Energy & the Environment.
Ellington, J.J., T. Carrillo, J. White, C. Sutherland, and D. Richman. 2005. Guide to the biological control of some common yard and garden pest insects in New Mexico. New Mexico Circular 607.
Richman, D.B., J. Drake, T. Carrillo, and J.J. Ellington. 2005. A color key to the common spiders found in alfalfa and cotton in New Mexico. New Mexico Circular.
Ellington, J.J. and T. Carrillo. 2003. Black Aphid Control. XXXVIV Annual Western Pecan Conference Proceedings.
Ellington, J.J. and T. Carrillo. 2002. Integrated biological control of cotton insets in New Mexico. International Cotton Pest Work Committee. Mazatlan, Mexico. Proceedings.
Carrillo, T.D., D. LaRock, A.H. Abd El-Salam, J.J. Ellington. 1994. Evaluation of beneficial insects for control of pecan pests. 28th Western Pecan Conference Proceedings.
Carrillo, T.D., J.J. Ellington. 1994. Sampling, counting and modeling insect populations in cotton ecosystems. XXIX Congreso Nacional De Entomologia Proceedings. Monterry, Mexico.
Ellington, J.J., T.D., Carrillo. 1994. A computer assisted recognition system for cotton. Proceedings for National Cotton Council Beltwide Conference in San Diego.
Ellington, J.J., A. Amin., Z.,Sawiers. T.D., Carrillo. 1994. A comparison of three sampling methods for arthropods in cotton in New Mexico. Proceedings for National Cotton Council Beltwide Conference in San Diego.
Ellington, J.J., A, Amin., Z., Sawiers. T.D., Carrillo. 1994. A comparison of dispersion and regression indices for Heliothis spp. in cotton in New Mexico. Proceedings for National Cotton Council Beltwide Conference in San Diego.
- Richman, D.B., Dean, D.A., Carrillo, T.D., Ellington, J.J., Sarabia and Schneider, P.K. A computer- aided key to the spiders in Egyptian cotton fields. American Arachnological Society National Meeting. University of Florida. 1994.
Membership in Professional & Academic Organizations
- World Aquaculture Association 2014-present
- New Mexico Aquaponics Association 2014-2016
- Alfalfa Hay Growers Association, 1998-present
- Chile Growers Association 1996- present
- Sigma-Xi Scientific Society, 1998 – present.
- Pecan Growers Association, 1990 – present
- Cotton Growers Association 1990 – present
- Board of Directors, Cowboys for Cancer Research, 2003-present
- Hope Centers International 2013-present
- Member of the Board, 4-H rodeo, 2015