Alemayehu "Alex" Mekonnen, PhD
Professor of Africana Studies
African Missiology Specialist
International Experience: Ethiopia, Kenya, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Intercultural Studies, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA
- Master of Arts, Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA
- Master of Arts, Missiology, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA
- Master of Arts, Cross-Cultural Communication, Springfield, MO
- Bachelor of Theology, East Africa School of Theology, Nairobi, Kenya
Doctor of Philosophy Dissertation
- Effects of Culture Change in Ethiopia
- Chairperson, Department of Intercultural Studies, African International University, Nairobi, Kenya
- Chairperson, Leadership Department, Denver Seminary, Littleton, CO
- Associate Professor, Intercultural Studies, African International University, Nairobi, Kenya
- Associate Professor, Intercultural Studies/Missions, Denver Seminary, Littleton, CO
- Christianity in the African Context
- Cultural Change in African Society
- Cultural Leadership Patterns in Africa
- African Economy, Energy & Political Change
- Intercultural Communication between African Cultures
Ministry & Professional Experiences
- Missionary, Evangelical Free Church of America, Nairobi, Kenya
- Elder, Karen Community Church, Nairobi, Kenya
- Board Member, One Challenge (Missions Agency), Colorado Springs, CO
- Advisory Council Member, Life Challenge Africa, Nairobi, Kenya
- Founder, African Mission Mobilizing Center (AMMC), Albuquerque, NM
- Founding Pastor, Ethiopian Evangelical Church, East Los Angeles, CA
- Missions Committee Member, Woodmen Valley Chapel, Colorado Springs, CO
- Evangelism and Theological Education, Billy Graham: Amsterdam 2000, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2000.
- The Gospel and Culture in Changing Society, Ethiopian Evangelical Association Church Leaders Seminar, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Dec 8-13, 1999.
- The West and China in Africa: Civilization Without Justice, Wipf & Stock, Eugene, OR, 2015
- Culture Change in Ethiopia: An Evangelical Perspective, Regnum, Oxford Press, London, UK, 2013
- Knowing the God We Worship, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Artistic Printers, 1998
- The Chosen Generation, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Kaleheiwet Publication, 1998
- Fundamental Doctrines of Christian Faith, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Raey Publisher, 1996
- “Missions and Democracy” Pgs-821-822, in Encyclopedia of Christian Education Vol. 2., George Thomas Kurian and Mark A. Lamport, Ed.
- “Christian Leadership in Africa: Effectively Challenging Cultural Contexts” Pgs. 74-103, in Contemporary African Missiology: Contribution of Contemporary Thoughts, Uzima Publishing House, Nairobi, Kenya, 2009.
- Developing Wise Leaders, Denver Seminary Magazine, 2009.
- Ethiopians in the United States, Global Church Growth, Volume XXIV, No. 4. October-December, 1997.
- The Temptation at the Temple, Agape Magazine, #14, York, PA. July –Sept., 1994.
- We Need Theologians, Agape Magazine, # 11. York, PA, 1991.
- Faith and Nationality, Kale Heiwet (Word of Life) Magazine, #19, 1991
- Culture, Ethnicity and Church: From Anthropological Perspective, Berhane (LIGHT) Magazine, # 34, 1991
- What Do We Miss? Agape Magazine, # 9. York, PA 1989.
- The Problem of the Ethiopian Eunuch, The News and Views of Ethiopian Outreach Ministry, York, PA. Nov. 1988.