Mofolusho Falade, PhD
Professor of Global Health
Infectious Disease Specialist
International Experience: Australia, Brazil, Cameroon, England, Germany, India, Kenya, Netherlands, Nigeria, South Africa, Thailand, Tunisia, USA
- Posdoctoral Fellow, Max Plank Institute for Infection & Biology, Berlin, Germany
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Protein Ligand and Molecular Biology Laboratory, BIOTEC, Thailand
- Doctor of Philosophy, Parasitology, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- Pre-Doctoral Training, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, Netherlands
- Master of Science, Zoology, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- Bachelor of Science, Zoology, University of Ilorin, Nigeria
- In vitro and In vivo antimalarial activities of Ficus thonningii and Lophira alata leaves
- Infectious Diseases (general)
- Epidemiology and Control of Infectious Disease
- Host-Parasite Interactions
- Genomics and Molecular Evolution of Parasites
- Lecturer I, Department of Zoology, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- Lecturer II, Department of Zoology, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Lecturer II, Department of Biological Sciences,Redeemers University, Mowe, Ogun State, Nigeria
Travel grant to attend 1 st course on Genome Editing, Mbita, Kenya. 29 May to 10 June 2017.
Institute for Infection and Biology, Berlin Germany. 2014.
- Participant and trainer at JICA sponsored training course on the theme: Translation and
Applications of Advances in Genomics for Public Health and Control of Infectious Diseases ofPoverty. Institute Pasteur de Tunis, Tunisia January 23-30, 2014.
- Facilitator and trainer at a JICA sponsored training course in health research on the theme “
Molecular Biochemistry in health Application”. Institute Pasteur de Tunis, Tunisia January 7-26,2013.
Wellcome Trust Advanced Course: Malaria Experimental Genetics. Wellcome Trust GenomeCampus, Hinxton Cambridge March 4-10, 2012.
- WHO/TDR Postdoctoral fellowship on project A60924 “Development of Plasmodium surrogate
models for anti-folate screening against P. falciaprum and P. vivax DHF-TS. At The ThailandNational Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC), Thailand. 2008- 2009
- Travel Award to attend The American Society Of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH) 58th
Annual Meeting, November 18-22, 2009. MarriotWardman Park, Washington, DC, USA. Dec
- WHO/TDR sponsored 3 months training related to TDR Project ID No. A50098 on the
Applications of Transfection technology for screening and Immunological studies in tropicalparasitic diseases”, at The Laboratory of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden,
The Netherlands. 1 st June 2006 to 26 th August 2006.
- WHO/TDR and The Thailand National Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
(BIOTEC) jointly sponsored 6 months training on Molecular biology and Transfection ofPlasmodium falciparum. 10 th DEC 2004- 10 th JUNE 2005.
- WHO/MIM/TDR Ph.D. Postgraduate fellowship under the project 980046 “Clinical Evaluation of
Potential Antinalarial Components from Nigerian Phytomedicine Compedium” 2001-2007.
- WHO/TDR Fellowship to attend Functional Genomics of Malaria Parasites Workshop.
InternationalCentre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi, India. 10-18
- WHO/TDR Fellowship to attend 3 rd Regional Training on Bioinformatics Applied to Tropical
Diseases in Africa. South African Bioinformatics Institute, University of Western Cape, Bellville,South Africa. 2-15 February, 2004.
Basic Molecular and Cell Biology Techniques
- DNA/RNA isolation; PCR, RT-PCR amplification; Southern & Nothern hybridization; Molecular cloning; Microscopy
Expertise in infectious disease research
- In vitro culture of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium berghei; stable transfections of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium berghei; Plasmodium berghei rat and mouse infections and drug studies.
- Database searching: PlasmoDB, GenBank, NCBI.
- Franke-Fayard, B.; Djokovic, D.; Dooren, M. W.; Ramesar, J.; Waters, A. P.; Falade, M. O.; Kranendonk, M.; Martinelli, A.; Cravo, P. and Janse, C. J. (2008): Simple and sensitive antimalarial drug screening in vitro and in vivo using transgenic luciferase expressing Plasmodium berghei parasites. International Journal of Parasitology Vol. 38. No.14, 1651-6.
- Cruz, A. K,; de Toledo, J. S.; Falade, M.; Terrão, M. C.; Kamchonwongpaisan, S.; Kyle, D. E. and Uthaipibull, C. (2009): Current treatment and drug discovery against Leishmania spp. And Plasmodium spp: a review. Current Drug Targets Vol. 10. No. 3, 178-92.
- Akinboye, D. O.; Fawole, O.; Agbolade, O. M.; Akinboye, O. O.; Amosu, A. M.; Atulomah, N. O. S.; Hapi, T. C.; Oduola, O.; Owodunni, B. M.; Rebecca, S. N.; Falade, M. and Okwong, E. (2009) Malaria and genetic polymorphisms of haemoglobin genotypes and ABO Blood groups. Acta Satech. Journal of Life and Physical Sciences Vol. 3. No. 1, 122-131.
- Akinboye, D. O.; Okwong, E.; Ajiteru, N.; Fawole O.; Agbolade, O. M.; Ayinde, O. O.; Amosu, A. M.; Atulomah, N. O. S.; Oduola, O.; Owodunni B. M.; Rebecca, S. N. and Falade, M. (2010): Onchocerciasis among the inhabitants of Ibarapa local government community of Oyo state, Nigeria. Biomedical Research Vol. 21. No. 2, 174-178.
- Abiodun, O.; Gbotosho, G. O.; Ajaiyeoba, E. O.; Happi, T. C.; Falade, M. O.; Wittlin, S.; Sowunmi, A.; Brun, R. and Oduola, A. M. J. (2010): In vitro antiplasmodial activity and toxicity assessment of some plants from Nigerian ethnomedicine. Pharmaceutical Biology Vol. 49 No. 9, 9- 14.
- Falade, M. O. and Otarigho, B. (2013): Survival potential, fecundity and fertility of Biomphalaria pfeifferi (Krauss, 1884) during acclimatization in the laboratory. Zoology and Ecology Vol. 23. No. 2, 157-161.
- Otarigho, B and Falade, M. O. (2013): Molecular Evolution and Phylogenomics of the Anopheles gambiae Complex. Journal of Mosquito Research Vol. 3. No. 9, 65-70.
- Falade, M. O.; Akinboye, D. O.; Gbotosho, G. O.; Ajaiyeoba, E. O.; Happi, T. C.; Abiodun, O. O. and Oduola A. M. J. (2014): In Vitro and In Vivo Antimalarial Activity of Ficus thonningii Blume (Moraceae) and Lophira alata Banks (Ochnaceae), Identified from the Ethnomedicine of the Nigerian Middle Belt. Journal of Parasitology Research doi:10.1155/2014/972853.
- Falade, M. O. and Otarigho, B. (2015): Identification of Sodium-Ion-Dependent Neurotransmitter Transporters among Protozoa Parasite Genomes: Structure, Function and Prospects for Drug Discovery. Genomics and Applied Biology Vol. 6. No. 5, 1-11
- Falade, M. O. and Otarigho, B. (2015): Shell Morphology of Three Medical Important Tropical Freshwater Pulmonate Snails from Five Sites in South-Western Nigeria. International Journal of Zoological Research Vol. 11. No. 4, 140-150
- Falade, M. O. and Otarigho, B. (2016): Comparative structural and functional features of folate salvage transporters in Plasmodium falciparum and humans. Journal of Biotech Research Vol. 7, 20-29
- Posayapisit, N.; Songsungthong, W.; Koonyosying, P.; Falade, M. O.; Uthaipibull, C.; Yuthavong, Y.; Shaw, P. J. and Kamchonwongpaisan, S. (2016) Cytochrome c and c1 heme lyases are essential in Plasmodium berghei. Molecular Biochemical Parasitology Vol. 210. No. 1-2, 32-36
- Falade, M. O.; Opene, A. J. and Otarigho, B. (2016) DNA barcoding of Clarias gariepinus, Coptodon zillii and Sarotherodon melanotheron from Southwestern Nigeria. F1000 Research 5:1268, doi: 10.12688/f1000research.7895.
- Falade, M. O. and Otarigho, B. (2017) Characterization of potential drug targeting folate transporter proteins from Eukaryotic Pathogens. F1000 Research 6:36, doi: 10.12688/f1000research.10561.2.
- Falade, M. O.; Komoni, F and Nwuba, R. I. (2017) Efficacy of Lophira alata Leaf Extracts and its Combination with Artesunate in mice prior exposed to Plasmodium berghei. Accepted. Drug Research
- Falade M., Uthaipibull C., Yuthavong Y and Kamchonwongpaisan S (2009) A mouse mouse- screening model for resistant Plasmodium falciparum dhfr-ts inhibitors. Am J Trop Med Hyg 81(5):49.
- Akinola O, Gbotosho O.G, Happi T.C, Sowunmi A, Falade M, Uthaipibull C, Kamchonwongpaisan S and Oduola A.M.J (2009). The Use of Transgenic Plasmodium falciparum in the evaluation of in vitro antiplasmodial activity of antimalarial drugs and methotrexate. Am J Trop Med Hyg 81 (5):148
- Abiodun, Gbotosho G, happi C, Folarin O, Falade M, Olalubi A, Falade C, Sowunmi A and Oduola A (2005). In vitro evaluation of current susceptibility of patient isolates of Plasmodium falciaprum to standard antimalarial drugs. Acta Tropica 95S:S367
- Akinboye D, Agbolade M, owodunni B, Livingstone R, Falade M and Abiodun O. (2005) Malaria control among children of purdah and non-purdah mothers in Zamfara state Nigeria. Acta Tropica 95S:S422 .
Abstracts Presented at Conferences
- 65th ASTMH annual meeting. Nov 13-17, 2016. Atlanta, Georgia, USA. In vivo studies of Fitness of Drug Resistant Plasmodium falciparum DHFR Mutants using Plasmodium berghei Transgenic Parasites. Falade M.; Kamchonwongpaisan S.; Yuthavong Y and Uthaipibull C (2016)
- 2016 Keystone Symposia Conference, Southern Sun, Cape Town, WC, South Africa. May 22- 26, 2016. Costus afer and Costus spectabilis improve host immune defence against Plasmodium berghei infection in mice. O Owolodun and M Falade (2016).
- 27th Annual Molecular Parasitology Meeting. September 18-22 2016. Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, Ma, USA. Got milk? A dietary approach to assess folate synthesis and salvage in malaria parasite. Matz J.; Watanabe M.; Falade M.; Hofgen R and Matuschewski K (2016).
- Faculty of Science, University of Ibadan 2nd International Conference on Scientific Research and Innovation in Nigeria. 16-20 March 2015. Treatment with Costus afer and Costus spectabilis modulates the Immune response and Increases survival of Plasmodium-infected mice. Falade M.O, Owolodun O and Mustapha O (2015).
- Shotgun Proteomics of whole and depleted hemolymh from Biomphalaria glabrata, the snail host of the human blood fluke Schistosoma mansoni. Benson Otarigho, Leandro Xavier Neves, Ananda Lima Sanson, Mofolusho O. Falade, William Castro-Borges. 2nd Proteomics Meeting of the Brazilian Proteomics Society jointly with the 2nd Pan American HUPO Meeting. Buzios- Rio de Janeiro- Brazil. December 7-10, 2014.
- Does prior exposure to the malaria parasite enhance the efficacy of Lophira alata in combination with Artesunate? Mofolusho Falade, Favor Komoni, Roseangela Nwuba. 6 th MIM Pan-African Malaria Conference, Durban, South Africa. October 6-11, 2013.
- Heme biosynthetic pathway of Plasmodium berghei plays a role in malaria pathogenesis. Warangkhana Songsungthong, Mofolusho Falade, Pongpisid Koonyosying, Philip Shaw, Sumalee Kamchonwongpaisan. 12 th International Congress on Parasitology (ICOPA XII), Melbourne, Australia. August 15-20, 2010.
- Generation and application of Transgenic Plasmodium berghei reporter parasites for use in drug sensitivity assays in vitro and in vivo. B Franke-Fayard, D Djokovic, M Dooren, J Ramesar, A Waters, M Falade, M Kranendonk, A Martinelli, P Cravo and C Janse. . 12 th International Congress on Parasitology (ICOPA XII), Melbourne, Australia. August 15-20, 2010.
- A mouse-screening model for resistant Plasmodium falciparum dhfr-ts inhibitors. Falade M., Uthaipibull C., Yuthavong Y and Kamchonwongpaisan S (2009) 58th ASTMH annual meeting. Nov 18-22, 2009. Marriot Wardman Park, Washington, DC, USA
- A murine model for drug development of Plasmodium falciparum dhfr-ts inhibitors. Mofolusho Falade. Chairat Uthaipibull., Voravuth Somsak., Sumalee Kamchonwangpaisan and Yongyuth Yuthavong (2008). 57th ASTMH annual meeting. Sheraton New Orleans, New Orleans, LA. USA.Dec 7-11, 2008.
- Development of a novel rodent model for Plasmodium falciparum drug development. Mofolusho Falade., Chairat Uthaipibull., Voravuth Somsak., Sumalee Kamchonwangpaisan and Yongyuth Yuthavong (2008). Keystone symposia; Pathogenesis and Control of Emerging Infections and Drug-Resistance Organisms. Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel Bangkok, Thailand. Oct 22-27, 2008.
- Analysis of P falciparium pfmdr1 mutations and in vivo chloroquine treatment outcome in children of South-west Nigeria. Folarin O A, Happi T C, Gbotosho G O, Falade C O, Tambo E, Falade M.O, Sowunmi A and Oduola A M J (2003). Abstract presented at the Federation of African Societies of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology- Fourth International Congress. Organized in collaboration with The International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Held in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Nov 25-28 2003.
Membership in Academic & Professional Associations
- American Society for Parasitology
- American Society for Microbiology
- Nigerian Society for Zoology
- African Society for Bioinformatics
- The Systematics Association, The Linnean Society, UK
- English, native or bilingual fluency
- Yoruba, native or bilingual fluency