Prof. Kendra Varner, MSN, PhD (candidate)
Instructor in Community Health Outreach
Health & Wellness Specialist
International Experience: Benin, Brazil, India, Uganda, USA, Yemen, Zimbabwe
- Doctor of Philosophy (candidate), Nursing Research, University of Ohio, Athens, OH
- Master of Science of Nursing, Education, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN
- Graduate Studies, Missiology, Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary, Cordova, TN
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Wright State University, Dayton, OH
Doctoral Dissertation (in progress)
- in progress
Licenses & Certifications
- Registered Nurse, Ohio Board of Nursing
- Registered Nurse, Tennessee Board of Nursing
- Nursing Professional Development (NPD) Certification
- Basic Life Supporter (AHA)
- Nursing Education Graduate Certificate, Wright State University
- National Registry Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (NREMT-P)
- Stated Tested Nursing Assistant (STNA), Ohio
- Health Promotion
- Disease Management
- Assistant Professor of Nursing, Kettering College, Kettering, OH
- Nurse Educator, Nurse Residency Partnership, Seattle, Washington
- New Graduate Nurse Program Design and Curriculum Development, The Nurse Residency Partnership (TNRP), an online acute care nurse residency program. http://nurseresidency.org/
- International Editorial Review Board member; From Surviving to Thriving: Navigating the First Year of Professional Nursing Practice. Sakatchewan, Canada: Nursing the Future by Dr. Judy Boychuk Duchscher.
- Consultant; Successful Transition of Entry Level Nurses project team in Alberta, Canada
- Nurse Residency Program Coordinator, Grandview / Southview Medical Centers, Dayton, OH
- Adjunct Professor, Baptist College of Health Science, Collierville, TN
- Visiting Lecturer & Clinical Instructor, Mbarara University Science and Technology, Mbarara, Uganda
- Patient Educator, Community Health Outreach, Kettering, OH
- Intensive Care Unit Staff RN (PRN), Baptist College of Health Science, Collierville, TN
- Intensive Care Unit Staff RN, Mercy Medical Center, Springfield, OH
- Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic, Springfield Township Fire Department, Springfield, OH
- Cardiac Stepdown Unit Staff RN, Mercy Medical Center, Springfield, OH
- Subacute Unit Staff, Mercy Medical Center, Beavercreek, OH
- State Approved Nursing Assistant, Beavercreek, OH
- Mey, L. (Presenter); other authors: Varner, K., Mentzel, T., Greer, G., Tobias, B., & Siepel, T. (May, 2016). Recruiting and retaining minority students in healthcare: What’s working at UC. (Poster presentation). 2nd Annual OH-PKAL conference on Evidence-Based Practices in Undergraduate STEM Education. Capital University.
- Moretta, A. & Varner, K. (Speakers). (2014, May-June). Preparing for the workforce: Successful new graduate transition from college to the workforce. (6-part workshop series). Kettering College, Kettering, Ohio.
- Varner, K. (Speaker). (May, 2014). New Graduate Nurse Transition into Professional Practice. (3hr) workshop. Veteran Administration (VA) Medical Center, Dayton Ohio.
- Hansen, J. & Varner, K. (Speakers). (June, 2011). Building a Nurse Residency Program: Set New Graduates on the Path to Success (Audioconference). HCPro, Inc.
- Varner, K. (Speaker). (2009-2011, October). Preparing for the Transition to Practice. In Grandview Medical Center Annual Nursing Symposium. Dayton, Ohio.
- Bishop, K. (2008, December). Evidence-Based Nursing and Research: How? Horizon Live @ www.Cure4Kids.org. Monthly Lecture Series with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital International Partner Sites: Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, and Bahrain.
- Varner, K. (2014). Case Studies and Suggested Answers (Ch 1-45). In Taylor’s Fundamentals of Nursing: The Art and Science of Nursing Care, (8th ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins.
- Varner, K. (2013). Suggested Answer to the Critical Thinking Exercises (Ch. 1-73). In Brunner & Suddarth’s Texbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing (13th ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Varner, K. (2011). [Contributing author]. In J. Hansen, Nurse residency program builder: Tools for a successful new graduate program (pp. 38-41, 100-112,124-130, 149-158). HCPro, Inc.
- Varner, K., Mey, L., Mentzel, T., Greer, G., Tobias, B., & Siepel, T. (in press). Pulse Check: underrepresented minority healthcare student recruitment and retention at the University of Cincinnati. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory, & Practice.
- Varner, K., Holland, C., Hansen, J. & Leeds, R. (2014). Nurse residency program leader as an emerging nursing professional development specialist role. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 30(1), 2-10. DOI:10.1097/NND.0b013e3182a1a853
- Varner, K. (2013). Nurse residency program leaders: Who is at the helm? Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 29(5), 276-278. doi: 10.1097/01.NND.0000435102.40033.15
- Varner, K. and Leeds, R. (2012). Transition within a graduate nurse residency program. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 43(11), 491-9.ISSN: 0022-0124 PMID: 3061408
- Bishop, K., Mele, N., Koppmann, M., & Day, S. (2009). A review of paediatric palliative care nursing education in Latin America. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 15(8), 332-337.
Publications (Educational Materials)
- Varner, K. (2016). 5th Annual Wellness Symposium Participant Guide. Kettering, Ohio: Kettering Health Network.
- Bishop, K. (2003). Clinical Skills I Manual. Unpublished manuscript, Department of Nursing, Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), Mbarara, Uganda.
- Quality Matters™ Applying the QM Rubric Workshop, Quality Matters
- Test Development and Item Writing v5.0.1, NCSBN Learning Extension
- Reasoning with Unreasonable People 6hr CE workshop ANCC field test participant, NPD certification
- Health Athlete workshop
- National Nurses in Staff Development (NNSDO) annual conference, workshops
- Nursing Professional Development Review Course; National Nurses in Staff Development (NNSDO) annual conference
- Kettering Health Network Leadership Institute classes
- Education residency (210 hrs) with Director of Nursing-- International Outreach Program (IOP), St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Clinical focus practicum (120 hrs) with Director of Nursing-- Staff Development, Baptist Memorial Health Care System; Community Outreach Independent Study
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) provider
- Education practicum (120 hours), didactic / clinical supervision of undergraduate students at Wright State University
- Basic Trauma Life Support (BTLS) re-certification
- Pediatric Advanced Live Support (PALS) re-certification
- Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (EMT-P) renewal course
Ministry & Community Service
- Volunteer, Hospitality Ministry / Helping Hands,™ Far Hills Community Church, Dayton, OH
- Volunteer, The Society for the Improvement and the Conditions of Stray Animals (SISCA), Kettering OH
- Volunteer, Angel Tree Prison Ministry, through Far Hills Community Church, Dayton, OH
- Volunteer, Health Partners Free Clinic, Troy OH
- Volunteer, Juvenile Ministries, Memphis Juvenile Correctional Facility, Memphis, TN
- International relief work in Yemen
- Drug and Alcohol Awareness campaign, Primary schools in Brasilia, Brazil
- ROC wheelchair distribution in Benin, West Africa
- Health Awareness campaign, Primary and Secondary schools in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Emergency Medical Technician, Springfield Township Fire Department (Volunteer)
- Himalayan Medical Ministry Mobile Outreach, Jammu-Kashmir, North India
Membership in Professional Organizations
- Graduate Nursing Student Academy (GNSA)
- National Nurses in Staff Development (NNSDO)
- Ohio Nurses Association (ONA)
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
- Sigma Theta Tau, International Nursing Honor Society / Zeta Phi chapter
- Uganda Nursing Council
- Jonas Scholar, Jonas Nurse Leaders Scholar Program, University of Ohio, Athens, OH
- Outstanding Nurse Educator Student Award, Loewenberg School of Nursing, University of Memphis, TN